Most Aggressive Hot Scorpion

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whats the most aggressive and active hot scorp that anyone knows of?

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some people says that their H. Arizonensis is more aggressive than their hot scorps.. and this is a very active scorp, very attractive. Anyways, if you're finding another specie, I cannot help you, sorry.

Frank

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I often here people describing there Hadrurus as aggressive. What do people define as being aggresive? To me, it means a scorpion that will approach you and try to sting you as soon as you place your hand anywhere near it. I find Hadrurus shy. Running away the moment I even enter the room! It will sting if provoked but it always prefers to hide. I am quite happy to re-arrange its tank without moving it first. Surely that can't be taken as a sign of aggression!
What do other people feel about this?

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most aggressive hot scorpion...I would choose Leiurus quinqestriatus, the Death Stalker. I’ve kept a few and they are quite active. I usually find them roaming, exploring and changing their enclosures at night. When hunting/ feeding they are very quick and to the point. The different species of Androctonus scorpions are fun and entertaining to observe. I’ve noticed when A. bicolor gets excited that it’s tail will ungulate and swing erratically. Other scorpions demonstrate this behavior when threatened, mating or encountering other scorpions, but not to the same degree as A. bicolor…or at least in my experience.

From my experience, the Hadrurus are the most active/aggressive scorpions I’ve kept. I see mine almost every night and sometimes during the day. They willingly accept food and use their stings to kill their prey. I think the reason many describe them as aggressive is that they hold their ground instead of run and rarely back down from a fight. I have trouble getting these guys to cooperate when I need to move them; neither twelve-inch forceps nor my hand seems to intimidate them. Scorpions will not attack you or anything without a reason. The need a life preserving reason to use their sting such as being hungry or threatened. They do not have malicious intent behind their actions.

W. Smith

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My H. arizonensis is very active and is out most of the day and night. He has a deep burrow, and it takes alot to make him run in it. He will stand his gard if i go to move him or whatever to change water , etc. But he is also very easy to handle. I pick him up with a spoon under him and place him on my arm. He drifts back and forth and usually has his tail down , without any defensive posture ,`cause he knows he`s beat. But once hes got feet on the ground, he`ll tag ya first chance he`s got.
Great scorp!!!! Probably one of my favorites!

Mat

But i`ve still never seen her kill prey but have witnissed her eating though:(

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As it has been stated, Hadrurus arizonensis are more willing to stand their ground than the majority of truly hot scorpions, though mine will, as stated, run at the first feeling of vibrations. My H. spadix will not and will not budge when they know something is near to them. They are much more likely to be considered as aggressive in my experience. L. quinquestriatus males are more prone to be aggressive than females, though I would consider neither as aggressive because they will both run as soon as I open the hood on their enclosure, as the same goes with A. australis, bicolor, P. trans, liosoma, Centruroides, etc., being fast to run away at the slightest vibration.

adios,
edw. :D

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anybody ever kept a buthus occitanus how active is that?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not extremely active, but moreso than many. I'd have to say that they are about comparable to C. vittatus (but can only be kept in small numbers, unlike the Centruroides). They are more shy of large insects than C. vittatus and would prefer to run from it or defend from it, rather than to attack it as viciously as the Centruroides do. Still a good scorp though, and if their food is smaller than them, they are more than willing to attack ferociously. Overall, I give them a rating of 7/10. Not too bad!

adios,

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently acquired a couple pairs B. occitanus and I’m still learning about them. Are these guys from rocky terrain? Would a pair have adequate room in a ten gallon?

Thanks,

W. Smith

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm keeping them on a mixed terrain right now, but they seem to be staying on the gravel more than sand or dried peat. Make sure they have a water dish, but I have three in a ten gallon. They are pretty small scorps though.

adios,
edw. ;)

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I lost one of the B. occitanus females and now only have three. I was considering placing the three in a container together. However, I believe I have two different subspecies, B. o. tunetanus and B. o. mardochei. Do you think I should house the 1.2 B. o. ssp. together? I leaning towards separate containers for the different subspecies, but if they can be placed together please inform me. Also are adult males noticeably smaller than females? The females I received were definitely much heavier bodied than the males. I’m afraid of the size difference between the sexes being an obstacle for them to cohabitate.

Thanks,

W. Smith

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
B. occitanus males are smaller than females, but only in overall girth (females being fatter). Males can obtain a length almost equal to that of the females and the species can be kept together in small numbers, as long as the enclosure is large enough. I wouldn't know about the keeping of ssp. of this scorp together, but I'll make the assumation that it can be done as long as there is ample food supply for them and ample water for their consumption. As a recommendation, if you attempt to keep them together, monitor them closely for a couple weeks to make sure there is no harsh aggression between them.

adios,
edw.
=D

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. I will try the three in a 10 gallon with more a rocky terrain opposed to a sandy terrain.

Thanks,

W. Smith

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My adult Parabuthus Liosoma was super active tonight i watched him eat 2 jumbo crickets was fun. The smaller P liosoma i have loves too stay in his hide all the time.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Parabuthus leiosoma are not communal :) Very nice scorps though, I just don't like the black tip at the end of the metasoma :)

By the way, Parabuthus leiosoma is the correct name (not Parabuthus Liosoma).

Frank

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No i have them in seperate tanks. They are very attractive scorps when they come out they dont come out much.

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have seen it spelled Liosoma in a number of different places.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, it's definitely not a bad scorp for four bucks, I'll give em' that. I always have at least five out of their burrows at any given time. P. leiosoma is the correct spelling, as Frank stated. It is known that much confusion is still in the hobby and therefore, it's okay to have though of it as correct. Especially noting that it has been spelled incorrectly by many of the most highly respected and established dealers on the net. A minor oversight only. Most people who are here at this site are here simply because they don't know where all of the technical info is on the net. It's a little difficult to locate, we all know. No worries. I have been known more than once to spell it in the same way, but it matters little because anyone with experience with this species knows which one we are conversing about.
They are extremely aggressive towards even opposing sexes. At least, the females are. Males would much rather run from the larger females. Kinda funny to me.

adios,

Last edited:

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anybody ever kept a buthacus arenicola ? A couple of dealers have been getting them in lately.