Most aggressive eaters?

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
What species of tarantula are the most greedy eaters? I love T's that eat everything like some Nhandu and geniculata.

Are there others? I'm in the process of getting a lot of slings.. I really have low patience with certain species over pickiness and food. I like hungry slings that eat readily and grow rapidly.

Thanks

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
most OWs.
Highly recommend OBT heard its a great eater and very polite also hear they love hugs:troll:.
my H. pulchripes is a little pig(also super cute and frendly).

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
My A genic eats everything. It got crazier as it got bigger. Always entertaining to watch. I have read pamphobeteus are crazy eaters. I just ordered my first phormictopus. I have read they tackle crickets. One of the best eaters in my collection is my psalmopoeus cambridgei. My b albopilosum is a consistant eater. My LP's are pretty hungry as well. My 2 g pulchripes don't refuse meals unless they are going to molt

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Phormictopus will eat anything that moves. I hear Pamphobeteus have a really good feeding response too.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Phormictopus will eat anything that moves. I hear Pamphobeteus have a really good feeding response too.
mostly true. my P platyomma was such a good eater...then everything changed. it ate the pre-kill later so whatever.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
My craziest eater ever was my first c versicolor. Made my A genic and psalmopoeus look like powderpuffs. Crickets would barely hit the web and they were disintegrated. Also the firat T that gave me a threat display. My 2 C versicolors now are much more placid than that one was. That one never got the memo about being a normal c versi

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Phormictopus, Pamphobeteus and Theraphosa hands down. You ever see a small sling ‘hop’ in the air to catch a mealworm? Ever see 5 inch juvie literally lay on its back when catching a roach? Most of my Phormics and Pamphos will eat a day before they molt too.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Any Nhandu
Any Acanthoscurria
Grammostola actaeon/iheringi
Any Phormictopus
Any Psalmopoeus
Neoholothele incei
Holothele sericea
Any Theraphosa
Any Chilobrachys
Hysterocrates gigas
Dolichothele diamantinensis
Any Lasiodora

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Xenesthis immanis - think A. geniculata, tries to eat the water when I fill her dish.
Chilobrachys fimbriatus - killed a roach while in pre-molt - just to watch it die! Kidding (sort of), I put a roach in and she rushed out, bit it and released it, she molted a week later. After she bit the roach it ran to the front of the enclosure, climbed some web and died hanging there.
Poecilotheria fasciata - mine waits by the front of the enclosure so that I have to be careful when putting roaches in so I don't get bit. I put the roach in a pill bottle and open the door just enough to let it in.
GBB - roaches barely hit her web before shes on them.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
All of my B. albopilosum are great eaters. In my experience they grow at a decent rate, but I feed all but the adults several times a week. The adults I have to keep on a diet or they become morbidly obese...because they never seem to say no to food.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
OP, I think from the answers above, you’re getting the gist of one (if not THE) allure of T keeping; they’re fun to feed. That’s why folks have so many, and various kinds. Even those that don’t eat a lot, some Brachys and Grammys for instance, are hilarious to watch when they do eat. I’ve watched my B. albiceps sling (not a huge eater) literally roll around its enclosure wrestling a meal worm. My B. albos (the “docile” species...heh) will actually jump up as I dangle a super-worm into the enclosure, that startled the heck out of me when that first happened. Even the ones that are somewhat meticulous in their attack, it’s fun to watch because you can admire the details of the endeavor. Get whatever T you want for whatever reason, no matter, it will be fun to watch it eat.

Last edited:

SpaceM

Arachnosquire
Even those that don’t eat a lot, some Brachys and Grammys for instance, are hilarious to watch when they do eat.
I can second that! My B.emilia can be hilariously clumsy catching prey. I've got a great video of her walking right over a wriggling super worm trying to find it then grabbing and dropping it twice before finally getting a grip on it.

Nandi

Arachnopeon
I have quite a few Phormics, Pamphos, Xenesthis and the best eaters are definitely Phormics, no doubt. I feed them like every day, none of them refused to eat, ever. I drop the prey, it never lands. Pamphos and Xenesthis are also awesome eaters compared to other species, but Phormics are just another world. Oh and A. geniculata is the same.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
My G. pulchripes Regina is a very aggressive eater. Great pounces nearly every time. She never does the happy dance tho :(

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
My C. Cyaneopubescens (gbb) is a beast. It went from a 1 inch sling to a 2.5 inch dls in 8 months. More and more it’s become my favorite to feed.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
My C. Cyaneopubescens (gbb) is a beast. It went from a 1 inch sling to a 2.5 inch dls in 8 months. More and more it’s become my favorite to feed.
Look into the large tropical NWs, they can jump from 1” to 3-4” within that timespan ;)

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I have a P. rufilata sling that is just about 1 1/2 inches DLS that is a total beast eater. After it gets over being startled by the top opening. It is also darn calm for a pokie sling. When it arrived a little prod from a brush and it calmly walked into the enclosure. Tonight I fixed some things inside it and got it out. Again calmly walked into the holding cup with a bit of motivation with a paint brush. I wish my C. lividus was this easy to rehouse, she flips on her back in a threat pose when I put a cup over her. Makes it a pain to slip the top under, because she keeps attacking the bottom of the cup.