Most active tarantula

OctoPhid

Arachnopeon
What do you guys think some of the most active species of tarantulas are? I'm asking because I currently have an A. chalcodes, B. albopilosum, and N. tripepii, which are all very sedentary, and I'd love to own a species I could actively watch. I understand that most species tend to not be very active, but what are your opinions?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Tarantulas are not active pets like cats or dogs. They are commonly called pet rocks for a reason.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Individuals have their own tendencies, but E. Sp. red are pretty active. I always catch both of mine rearranging their enclosures, that is really the only action you will get from them. Now with heavy webbing species like GBBs you may catch them in the middle of webbing, which is a neat sight. But, when they are done they will act more like typical pet rocks

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
As tarantulas are nocturnal, I might suggest buying an inexpensive red flashlight to watch them at night. Mine all come out after sunset and move around somewhat, regardless of species. I actually have all three of those species (individual behaviors aside) and they're all active for me at night. You may just regard them as sedentary because you look at them when there is white light in the room (daylight or artifical light.)

aphono

Arachnobaron
Yeah variations- for example my juvenile A. chalcodes is the most active. It does go through inactive periods, shifting around in the same place.. but then it will have several evenings and nights of almost constant walking around. strangely it will often take the same circuitous route repeatedly with no variation then vary it a little bit then back to the usual route. I do understand wanting something a little more active as it is mesmerizing to watch her walk around.. the way she moves her legs..

It's in the living room, lights apparently don't bother her any, she continues whatever she was doing with no pause or anything.

I did worry it might be a hooked out male but no hooks.. really hope it is in fact a female(and to my inexperienced self, it seems to sex ventrally as female).

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Most people don't realize you can get a red light and watch them at night. They move around a whole bunch.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Although most are pretty inactive alot of the time in my experience I've found Grammostola to be more active than the majority of my collection.

My puchra ,iheringi,actaeon and anthracina are constantly digging around or generally upto something or other, my pulchripes on the other hand as 6 lazy days out of 7

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My A. chalcodes and B. albopilosum are both fairly active (even during the day), my A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, G. iheringi, G. pulchripes and L. difficilis are all pretty active.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
My G. pulchripes actually moves around a lot. It doesn't do anything, though. It just walks around.

OctoPhid

Arachnopeon
So most tarantulas tend to be similar in activity levels? I guess I'll just buy a red light, should be cheaper than another T anyways lol.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
The most active t is my Euathlus sp red. Every morning I wake up, their enclosure looks different. They are about .75" now, Really funny to see. Second is my B hamorii. She's not really active, but every time I come back, she's in a new weird pose.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
So most tarantulas tend to be similar in activity levels? I guess I'll just buy a red light, should be cheaper than another T anyways lol.
You could also just put red tape over a regular flashlight. That's what most red lights are anyway, just a normal white light with a colored cover over it.

OctoPhid

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the link!

The most active t is my Euathlus sp red. Every morning I wake up, their enclosure looks different. They are about .75" now, Really funny to see. Second is my B hamorii. She's not really active, but every time I come back, she's in a new weird pose.
I was actually planning on getting an E. sp red after I get the arboreals I've been wanting, glad to hear that!

You could also just put red tape over a regular flashlight. That's what most red lights are anyway, just a normal white light with a colored cover over it.
Oh, I never thought of that, thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The one in the link does use a red LED, so the color is very saturated. But if that works too, it's a good alternative.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would say most active species are found in the Grammostola, Thrixopelma and Euathlus genera

Eek

Arachnosquire
Another suggestion is to get an ip camera that can record a night's worth of activity that can see in the dark via IR. Its great for catching unique moments and also seeing how active they are throughout the night. Since they are pet rocks during daylight hours I have been amazed to see what they are up to all night long. If its a slow night I just fast forward until I see movement. I dont recommend using motion detection features...T's are too patient and plodding for half their actions to be picked up.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Another solution is to buy more tarantulas. At some point building your collection, you will notice one recently moved to another part of the enclosure. One of them will always change position when you have a dozen or more. LOL, that excites some people

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not sure if you're ready for this one yet, but to my surprise, my Eucratoscelus pachypus is very active, and the most active as well. Between plugging her burrow with those sexy rear legs and abdomen, she is always digging or patrolling her enclosure. She even takes strolls during the day, and investigates everything different in her surroundings (food, waterdish full, me messing around with the T-closet).
She's an Old World though. NW most active is my A.metallica and E.murinus. The first one is busy with her webtubes, and the second with its tunnel and enhancing the entrances. :)