Most active scolopendra

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So far my scolopendra dahaani is a pet hole and ig got me thinking what are some of the most active pedes?

NYAN

Arachnoking
It depends on the individual pede a lot. In my experience, Scolopendra heros are out a lot.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
To echo NYAN- depends a lot on the individual. My S. galapagoensis has been very good about being out and about on the surface, while the Ethomostigmus I previously had was legitamently a pet hole year round. That being said- when the galap goes to molt she disappears for months at a time. It’s quite satisfying to have her resurface and be ravenous and considerably larger though.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
So far my scolopendra dahaani is a pet hole and ig got me thinking what are some of the most active pedes?
Interesting. I had two S dehaani adults, and neither ever really burrowed. Depends on the age, moisture, amount of substrate, presence of any hides, etc. etc....

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It seems my dahaani is broken then lol guess i can save up and get a S. hero

What is everyone's though on
Alipes grandidie?

Last edited:

StampFan

Arachnodemon

Alipes grandidie?
I can tell you my S heros was completely burrowed and fasting for months this past winter, thought it might be dead, dug up after a while, but it was merely brumating/hibernating in the cold months (despite the room being 70-80F).

When I had Alipes they were usually visible, more likely to use a leaf or hide than burrow.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

Alipes grandidie?
It's not 'broken' at all... I have a female S.subspinipes and she's a dieharder pet hole, unless she's hungry :)

If the set up is fine (so lot of substrate inches; little stones; fake leaves; cork bark etc) the 'pede loves to hide, for being nurtured by that 'protection' feeling.

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can tell you my S heros was completely burrowed and fasting for months this past winter, thought it might be dead, dug up after a while, but it was merely brumating/hibernating in the cold months (despite the room being 70-80F).

When I had Alipes they were usually visible, more likely to use a leaf or hide than burrow.
It's not 'broken' at all... I have a female S.subspinipes and she's a dieharder pet hole, unless she's hungry :)

If the set up is fine (so lot of substrate inches; little stones; fake leaves; cork bark etc) the 'pede loves to hide, for being nurtured by that 'protection' feeling.
Well it has all that minus the stones ill make the cage look more interesting like i have to with the rest of the pet holes lol

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
From my experience, Ethmostigmus rubripes and Scolopendra morsitans are out a lot, especially when given lots of leaf/bark litter to hide under (I feel like the presence of a lot of hides makes pedes feel more comfortable on the surface).

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
From my experience S. dehaani is very aktiv and not digging only hide under wood. S. alternans mostly digging and hide under the surface.
And also from my experience males are alway much more aktive then femals, I also know people they say they can't confirm that but I see that by all my sexed centipedes.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
My most active pede at the moment has to by my white leg, which I suspect is male but haven't tested. The hardwickei are also pretty active (and hopefully some are male). The dehaani stays hidden and I never see it. The alternans it depends - the young Haitans I have mostly hide unless hungry, whereas the large Hispaniola red giant I had was quite active.

The Ethmostigmus vary too. The ones which have substrate to burrow in I almost never see, whereas the ones which have shallow enclosures with very little substrate I often see wandering about. I think they treat the entire cage as their hide, which is a good way to see more of them.