Moss

iwlim

Arachnopeon
I have some moss growing in my back yard, is it safe for my hissers and ts? There are no pesticides in my yard. Also I have heard tap water kills moss? If so what type of water should I use?

user 666

Arachnobaron
Have patience, grasshopper.

I am still growing the moss I harvested from my backyard, so i can't give you a definite answer. But I expect it to be as safe as the cloth plants used in enclosures.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I use native moss for my dart frogs, and they're far more sensitive than Ts. It should be fine so long as you're certain that no pesticides could have blown on them or drained out on them from rain.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Sounds like a good way to give your T mites or possibly exposure to harmful chemicals (even if your lawn isn't sprayed, it could encounter runoff from other areas, etc.)

I wouldn't, but that's just me. Moderate risk, low reward.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Sounds like a good way to give your T mites or possibly exposure to harmful chemicals (even if your lawn isn't sprayed, it could encounter runoff from other areas, etc.)

I wouldn't, but that's just me. Moderate risk, low reward.
Yup, that was my first instinct, too. The moss you can buy in bulk isn't terribly expensive. But then again, we don't necessarily know where THAT stuff comes from either..... lol!

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Moss can be sensitive, I use only distilled water when misting moss in my tanks. Two things to keep in mind though; most mosses require decent light levels to thrive, and some native mosses may or may not have a winter dormancy period depending on where you live.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Moss can be sensitive, I use only distilled water when misting moss in my tanks. Two things to keep in mind though; most mosses require decent light levels to thrive, and some native mosses may or may not have a winter dormancy period depending on where you live.
Would the moisture requirements for live moss be too much for a T? Would you end up with mold problems?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Would the moisture requirements for live moss be too much for a T? Would you end up with mold problems?
For many tarantulas, I would say yes its too much. Depends on the species, though some moisture-liking spiders like Theraphosa sp., E. murinus, etc. would be ok with it I'm sure. My tanks that currently contain live moss are amphibian tanks with healthy microfauna populations, so mold isn't an issue in my case.