mosquito spraying in your area????? beware

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know our local city are hellbent on spraying us again with Anvil (administered by clarke mosquito) this year for the 'dreaded' west nile virus. Ignoring the fact that im not convinced that widespread spraying is necessary to control the disease (locally 4 people out of about 1/2 million showed symptoms of the disease, is that really a problem???) i suggest we need to take extra care of our spiders.

Find out when your local sprayings will occur and ensure your windows are closed. Last year my issue with my goliaths being sick (2 out of 4 died) did coincide with the spraying so this could be a factor (i assumed i had issues with infected crickets but it would be erronous of me to connect any cause and effect).

it would be interesting to see if unexplained T deaths, odd behaviour, sickness occurs more often in areas where spraying occurs. Ask questions at your local city, you will probably be met with a wall of silence, false argument (ive had lots of those including 'well we are surrounded by toxins all the time so its Ok to spray') or astonishment that you are even asking about the issue.

treeweta.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Many cities here in Canada use a pellet base system that they drop in sewer wells, and other standing water. No airborne spraying. Why don't they do that there ? You should talk to the city.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nitibus. They do all the other water based treatments but for some reason they also use the adulticiding airborne administration despite it being widely accepted as highly ineffective unless there is a very high mosquito population. To be honest i supsect its more a case of public relations than public health (remember to most people mosquito means kill, means poison, means poison OK).

treeweta.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nitibus. They do all the other water based treatments but for some reason they also use the adulticiding airborne administration despite it being widely accepted as highly ineffective unless there is a very high mosquito population. To be honest i supsect its more a case of public relations than public health (remember to most people mosquito means kill, means poison, means poison OK).

treeweta.

That's just silly then... Your city is wasting money, and peforming unhealthy practices

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nitbus,

Have you ever encountered a city official before?

I'll give you all the money I have if you can show me a city where they are not wasting money and commiting unhealthy practices.

I know of none.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In detroit, we dont have these things going on, so Im am sorry to all of u who have to deal with this...thats awful! I would def. talk to a city official, or call the channel 4 news problem solvers even if it didnt help much...I would know I said what I had to say.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Find out when your local sprayings will occur and ensure your windows are closed. Last year my issue with my goliaths being sick (2 out of 4 died) did coincide with the spraying so this could be a factor (i assumed i had issues with infected crickets but it would be erronous of me to connect any cause and effect).

Don't rely on what they tell you either. our town years ago used to spray for mosquitoes but have long since stopped. They clearly announced that sprayings would occur every wednesday evening throughout the summer and would occur between 7:30pm - 10:00 pm (when kids and pets ideally would be inside for the evenings).. Do you think the people they contracted to spray followed those instructions with any accuracy? Nope. I lost many fish and frogs from a small pond I kept on the deck because they sprayed at random times and days and not what we were told. I came home from work one evening to find that they sprayed during the middle of the afternoon and I wasn't to scramble to cover the pond at the last minute like previous times (when hearing the truck coming when it wasn't supposed to). Didn't get reimbursed for the losses either. Even worse were the times when kids would be outside playing during the day and the trucks would drive past kids playing in their yards and spray that nasty poison right at them.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think i may live in one of the few places that spraying may actually be worth any effort, and of course that is louisiana... then again a lot of the people here deserve to have toxins spewed on them.

Then again I can't remeber too many evenings outside with my smithii watching the sunset and the truck coming by... but you have a point, you never know what comes in to your house through the ventilation. But there is nothing in hell i can do here about it.