More snakes for me!

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I went to the local pet shop this morning with my fiance and got me two new corn snakes, for 8 US dollars each :) . They're 2002 cb anery corns, probably het for some sort of trait. I named the male Lucky due to the very obvious horseshoe mark on his head:

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's Lucky's lady, who doesn't yet have a name. She will as soon as I think of one.

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eight dollars,:eek:
Your lucky, I went to my pet shop and they have baby corn snakes for $49.99. I would of bought those two corn snakes as well if they were $8 each

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't think those are corns...

Pategirl...the head shape and markings look different from a corn's to me. I'll bet $8 US dollars per snake that those are black rat snakes. Either way, they're very cool and beautiful snakes. Black rat snakes are very similar to corn snakes (which are red rat snakes), they can be a little bit more feisty, but not always. They get a bit bigger too. ;P Tell me something, when you handle these snakes, do they wrap themselves around you?

Bry

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, they all like to wrap themselves around my hand, wrist, or head. These guys are definately corns, and I plan to find out just what they're mixed with when I breed them next spring. Hopefully that will work out.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are So flipping Cute!
Argh!
You guys are Really making me think about expanding our "zoo".
Alot.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, they all like to wrap themselves around my hand, wrist, or head. These guys are definately corns, and I plan to find out just what they're mixed with when I breed them next spring. Hopefully that will work out.
I'm not saying you're wrong here. Hell, I might even be wrong. My gut is 99% sure that these guys are black rats. Snakes from the genus elaphe obsoleta which black ratsnakes come from are more arboreal, and tend to wrap themselves around you. Corn snakes come from elaphe guttata, and they will climb, but are not quite as arboreal as obsoletas, they also tend not to wrap themselves around you. Black rats also turn black with age, most often turning pure black with a white underbelly on their front half. It appears to me that your snakes are starting to turn dark in the area near the tail. If I'm wrong about this, I'd be more than happy to eat my own foot. :)

What did you mean by finding out what they're mixed with when you breed them next spring? Corns and rats are very closely related, and will often intergrade naturally in the wild. How old are these guys, by the way? Snakes should be at least 3 years old before you think about breeding them. Maybe it's just the way they look in the pic, but these guys seem really young.

Bry

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a friend look at these two while he was out this way yesterday. He never said anything about them not being corns, and I very much trust his judgement...he said they would probably be breedable by next spring. They will then be two years of age.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had a friend look at these two while he was out this way yesterday. He never said anything about them not being corns, and I very much trust his judgement...
Okay...if you say so.

he said they would probably be breedable by next spring. They will then be two years of age.
Two years is still too young, at least for a female, it is. But anyways, go with what your friend says. What do I know?

Bry

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
breeding at two years...

If corns are fed enough they most certainly can breed at 2 years and this has been done by far more folks than just myself. Here are a couple of babies from some 2 year olds. The only advantage to waiting another year is larger females and possibly larger clutches but rest assured if properly fed 2 years is not too soon. Kathy Love has done it as well as Serpenco and all the other big corn breeders around. Also the snakes in question are not black rats. The belly pattern is wrong for black rats as is the size for their age. Black rats hatch out larger and grow quicker than corns. At a year old black rats would be a good bit bigger than Joys new pair. I will give ya though they do have a very similar pattern to the black rats and they are for sure not typical anery corns. As to what other genes are lying around in ther who knows.

Phil

Deathreaver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey ya'll
I definately agree with my better half with this one. I was in the pet store when the corns was brought in with one adult corn. I was planning to buy them my self b/c of the cheep prices, but she got to them before i could get the money. (The pet store owner is also our friend and he got the snakes for free from their previous owner so we got a lil discount). that is the gist of it....