More room for my T?

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
Should i move my juvenile costa rican zebra blue into a ten gallon tank? I want to give her more substrate to dig and i want to change her old red cup hide with cork bark. But the enclosure she's in now won't let that happen. Its too small 14889260000912030559676.jpg 20170307_172821.jpg 14889257190191351279734.jpg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
No. Almost no adult tarantula needs a 10 gallon tank, let alone a juvenile. Most adults are comfortable in a 5.5 gallon or roughly equivalent container. You might try an upgrade to a plastic shoebox or something in that size range.

The container it's in is OK, although the sub should be a bit deeper to prevent long falls from the lid. You want to keep the distance from the sub to the lid less than 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal leg span.

One of the nice things about tarantulas is how little space they really require! I do understand the instinct to give them as large a container as possible, because for most pets, it's something they enjoy.

Last edited:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
My 3.5-4" A. seemanni is in a very large plastic tub (something like 20 quart) with about 10" of substrate. It took him awhile, but he's now made himself a nice burrow that he stays in most of the time. Sometimes, like today, he will poke half his body out of the burrow. I'm thinking he's hungry.

They'll burrow if you give them the depth and time to do so. That's their natural inclination. I think they do fine if they can't burrow, and have a hide, but I wanted to see mine make a burrow.