More Pothos Options

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Things are growing. I'll probably pot up the rest of the cuttings this week so I can finish that project for now lol. The mother plants that I've made so far are really starting to burst with growth. Here's a cebu blue mother plant made from 20 cuttings in March.
20220704_122724.jpg

Heres a mother Marble Queen made from 20 cuttings that was potted up in mid April I believe.
20220704_122816.jpg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I have a pothos that is at least 44 years old. I say at "at least because my dad bought cuttings home to my mom. He bought them at a yard-sale and they were according to my mom, just a couple sprouts rooted in a Styrofoam cup. She said "He came in all excited and said 'Look what i got for a dime!" My dad died in 1978, so I just count the age from there because I'm not sure how long prior to that it was, but I am sure it was no more than a couple years if that. Three, tops.

Mom kept it going for decades, until ill health began to taker her. She died and I've taken care of it ever since. It got a bit straggly a few years after that due to a bit of apathy, (mainly forgetting to water it frequently enough) but I decided to rally it to it's old glory last year and it has taken right off again.
I cut away a lot of the dead vines and top dressed the soil, but it is in the same hanging basket that my mom eventually potted it up to, now a "hanging basket in name only. I have to keep it in the glass bowl that was originally intended for catching run-through after watering.
It is a variegated, but a lot of that was lost due to not putting it outside in the summers. I expect some marbling to return now that I have decided to nurture the plant.

I guess it might be called a "heritage" plant, or maybe a "legacy" plant. Not sure what the correct term would be. I'm leaning towards "legacy".

Not the best shot as the brighter background caused the plant itself to be a bit underexposed. But I shot it from that angle because i realized that there were two other examples of "legacies" hanging nearby. Achimenes plants, relatives to African violets, though I think probably distantly. They haven't been around quite as long, maybe 30 years or so. They won't bloom for a while, possibly later on this month. The only other plants I have from decades ago are a few roughly thirty-year old cacti. I have several more, but I've only had them for a year, after a resurgence of interest prompted me to build a bigger collection.
But this thread was intended for pothos discussion, so I'll shut up now.
m_IMG_0666crop.JPG

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Mom kept it going for decades,
My mother had a similar one I nicknamed Audrey. Sitting in the afternoon sun it overgrew things so she moved it away from the window. It sent out tendrils? towards the window, crawling along the floor. After a couple of years it got parked at the other end of the room from the window and my brother and I helped draping the overgrowth towards the sunlight decoratively along the wall the entire length of the room. Slow but determined..
Interesting Aracaea trivia. Just about any two members of the family can cross pollinate, even different genera.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20220809_124535.jpg
All potted up now. It's been a bit over a year since I started out with single cuttings, but I now have a nice mother plant for almost every cultivar I originally received (N'joy never took off and reverted back to a normal phenotype).

20220809_204614.jpg
Bonus picture of the four golden pothos plants, as they are currently, from the very first post on this thread. All of this plus some, from just the 5 original nodes in a bioactive enclosure.

Last edited: