More Parabuthus ID's

Chondro3000

Arachnopeon
Ok so here's what I think:

the first one is pretty darn surely P. leavipes. The two I have are both full grown males, and are quite small for Parabuthus. It fits the range they were found in (liesoma's range is no nearer than 600km East of where these were found). It's not namibensis, these were found too far south.

2nd one is baffling me... I am leaning towards P. granulatus, but as I said I've never seen a morph like this one. Thing about granulatus is that it's so widespread it makes it difficult to know exactly if you've stumbled on it. I really am wondering if it could be P. raudus, but b/c of the size of the sting i'm thinking granulatus.

3rd one I'm leaning towards P. schlecteri. It's a full grown male, and isn't nearly as large as P. villosus males I've had, and isn't as hairy. It fits the known range of schlecteri. Also, it's much more shy and is eager to dig a lot more than the P. villosus i've kept. I counted the "granular keels on the fourth caudal segment", and it has more than 10 though... confusing!!!

These things need to come with labels.

By far my favorite of this batch are the P. leavipes. Y'all should hear them when they're angry! Their tail-clicking is much louder and quicker-in-succession than any other i've seen!

Hi i live in south africa and ive collected and bred parabuthus for years 1st is P.leavipes, 2nd P granulatus defently look at the small venom visel and that is their colorasion for the kalahari desert they come in diffrent color accross the contry i hav them in high yellow ,high orange ,brown, lemon, brown with yellow legs, and one of my new ads grey depening on region of orgin,3rd P schlecteri
Ive collected all the parabuthus in the country for researh i still have them in bottle preseved im a student in nature conservation and doing a study ps exuise my spelling im afrikaans a mixture of dutch and french and so on

Last edited: