More opinions on the sex of this M. balfouri

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am leaning towards female. T is about 3-3"+

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
To me, and By no means am I an expert or should even be taking a guess, it looks like a male. I say this because of the hair patch.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To me, and By no means am I an expert or should even be taking a guess, it looks like a male. I say this because of the hair patch.
I know nothing about this species. But I did want to let you know that there are many factors that help determine a sex that very much differs by species and genus. Most of the hacks will look and say "I see a spermathecae" has to be female. Most of the experts will look at all things including shapes, angles and sizes of the book lungs and epigastric furrow and what not. Some species can use the hair as an indicator as well, but definitely not all.

I'm not poking this time. Just trying to help :)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know nothing about this species. But I did want to let you know that there are many factors that help determine a sex that very much differs by species and genus. Most of the hacks will look and say "I see a spermathecae" has to be female. Most of the experts will look at all things including shapes, angles and sizes of the book lungs and epigastric furrow and what not. Some species can use the hair as an indicator as well, but definitely not all.

I agree, That is why I want a lot more opinions than just my self...someone may see something that most don't.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Is this not correct?

Robc, I'm unwilling to guess at all on that one.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have two about the same size, and I can't for the life of me tell what sex they are and have stopped trying till I get a good molt.

PIG-

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have two about the same size, and I can't for the life of me tell what sex they are and have stopped trying till I get a good molt.

PIG-
I agree, I am really not sure on this one either.....do yours always destroy there molt, mine takes down the burrow and eats it everytime!!!:mad:

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree, I am really not sure on this one either.....do yours always destroy there molt, mine takes down the burrow and eats it everytime!!!:mad:
Yep, I get a partial molt at best, I would really love to get my hands on a clean molt, but they molt in their burrows and what I get is a partial destroyed molt sometime later.

I agree Rob, frustrating:}

PIG-

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is this not correct?

Robc, I'm unwilling to guess at all on that one.
Spermathecae are inside the spider. You can really only see them on the exuvium unless you have some really good "eye beams!" :)

Added:

I was referring to ventral sexing ONLY when I talked about seeing spermathecae.

Last edited:

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spermathecae are inside the spider. You can really only see them on the exuvium unless you have some really good "eye beams!" :)

Added:

I was referring to ventral sexing ONLY when I talked about seeing spermathecae.
Obviously spermathecae are only visible from looking at the inside of a moult. I have posted a few in the sexing for dummies thread.
Ventral sexing is looking at the underside of the spider, which would be epiandrous fusillae sexing (and other possible indicators). So ventral sexing is not spermathecae sexing.

I cannot tell with my M. balfouri either Robc, and they do seem to hide/destroy their moults pretty quick.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep, I get a partial molt at best, I would really love to get my hands on a clean molt, but they molt in their burrows and what I get is a partial destroyed molt sometime later.

PIG-
It is, I could care less female or male...I just need to know witch one to get next for a breeding pair LOL!!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Obviously spermathecae are only visible from looking at the inside of a moult. I have posted a few in the sexing for dummies thread.
Ventral sexing is looking at the underside of the spider, which would be epiandrous fusillae sexing (and other possible indicators). So ventral sexing is not spermathecae sexing.

I cannot tell with my M. balfouri either Robc, and they do seem to hide/destroy their moults pretty quick.
They do, they come out of the borrow and your like "wait he looks bigger & wait he is blue now" where is the molt!!!!

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They do, they come out of the borrow and your like "wait he looks bigger & wait he is blue now" where is the molt!!!!
Rob, that might be your best determining factor in another molt or two. Remember; the males will gradually begin to turn that fugly tan/brown coloration, the females will retain the pretty creame and blue! Judging by the shots, I'd say male. If it was a species I was more closely associated with, I'd say male; beyond the shadow of a doubt.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer

PIG-
I was going to ask that last night but got busy. 3 molts in my care and 2 times it was destroyed. The one time I get my hand on it before it sinks a fang in it, it was so hard to say. Evil demon twisted it up and I tore it opening it. :wall:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Boy what a stunner Joe! WOW!

If I may ask what substrate? Just wondering as it seems to have some sand in there but again purely just asking for sake of knowing.

Thanks!

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Substrate is called EarthGro Topsoil - they sell it in 40# bags at Home Depot for $1.29 a bag. Completely organic. :)
Wonderful and well noted.. Running to the Depot tomorrow for some work before winter arrives so definitely go check and see if they have any.

Thanks!