More mongrels on the way

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Idiots...
i really hope this hobby doesnt get over run with hybrids, and this isnt helping. all this guys think is that theyre going to combine the colors and make something attractive, meanwhile they end up making ugly spiders and sell them labeled as one of the two parents..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
As if humans arent already destroying certain species natural habitats and pulling them close to oblivion, we are also now slowly destroying their genes deliberately?

Crossbreeding is ridiculous. Some may crossbreed in the wild if localities overlay. That is bad enough.

We dont need idiots doing this kind of thing deliberately for their own amusement.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hopefully this guy labels these as hybrids if he sells them. I love the idea of crossing to get potentially beautiful spiders, but people never label. Hopefully they turn out looking great since you have already mated them. Just make sure to label them properly and it should be good.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hopefully this guy labels these as hybrids if he sells them. I love the idea of crossing to get potentially beautiful spiders, but people never label. Hopefully they turn out looking great since you have already mated them. Just make sure to label them properly and it should be good.
To each his own, but there are so many interesting and beautiful tarantulas out there that I don't see the need to muddy their gene pool with deliberate hybridization. (Plus there is no guarantee that the hybrids will look the way you want them to look.)

cold blood

Staff member
Some of my best dogs were mutts :troll:
Breeds of dogs are animals of the same species (Canis lupus famaliaris), not the same thing at all. Now if you were breeding your fox terrier to an actual fox....

This is about the most despicable thing one can to within and to the hobby. They should have their spiders taken away for such an act.

I found it interesting that drowsylids "liked" the video.:banghead::sorry:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
To each his own, but there are so many interesting and beautiful tarantulas out there that I don't see the need to muddy their gene pool with deliberate hybridization. (Plus there is no guarantee that the hybrids will look the way you want them to look.)
I'd agree it's not great that he bred them. Just saying that now the smithi is possibly pregnant, may as well either keep them all as personal pets or sell them with proper labeling. Best course of action if that smithi gives birth.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
hopefully he doesnt get a sac at all...

basin79

ArachnoGod
It's wrong on every single level. And it could get even worse if they happen to produce offspring. Now if the offspring happen to look like either parent and are sold the shit would really hit the fan.

T's could get passed on from home to home and eventually there'd be a good chance they'd be labelled as either parent.

They get bred and before you know it there are thousands of hybrids out there.

It's been happening in the snake world for years.

It absolutely disgusting.

I do believe this quote from Jurassic Park sums it up perfectly.

Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Quote from article in 2076. "Well the zombie apocalypse can be traced back to the F1's of a Therophosid hybridization. Apparently a drug resistant, flesh eating, mind-altering, highly contagious form of leprosy began to mutate in their book lungs."

I do however find it interesting that there are so many fertile hybrids in the tarantula world. Makes me question the validity of some of those species.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
In fact I hope he does not get a fertile egg sac. One of many problems of selling hybrids is any Joe schmo who cares not one bit about the survival of the different species will try to cross them with who knows what and it will create a truly horrendously murky gene pool of "I dare not even think about it" specimens.

Labeling properly or not has nothing to do with this since so many people could care less about doing the right thing.