More hands-on stuff

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all,
More handling stuff. Second time I handled Peso. I know some of you are rolling your eyes, but I promise I'm not going to mention each time I handle him. I won't talk about it again unless he bites me. I got a little freaked tonight when he decided to relocate (very quickly, i might add) to the back of my hand (which was palm-up). i realized that i wasn't expecting this little maneveur, and I didn't know how to get him back to where he was. Plus he scurried. The hurried steps spooked me a little.
When you handlers handle, do you decorate with gentle taps to the butt, or do you let him/her roam as they please? More or less..that is.
Thanks all,
Paul

p.s. I got pics this time. i'll post them soon

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I let ours roam, and stear them with gentle slow blocking of their forward motion.
Put the other hand in front of them calmly and surely.
No quick sudden moves.
Just relaxe and let your movements be natural.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wait till the first time one crawls on to your back, always fun trying to figure out how to get it off lol. I let it walk from hand to hand when I handle them and sometimes on my arm.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I let them roam as they please, although I do try to control and corral their movement. I doubt it slows an avic or a pokie down much, but for a big, heavy T. blondi I will, with my hands close to the carpet, hold my hands near-perpendicular to the carpet (maybe about 75 degree angle) and keep them contained on my hands. I have them above carpet and, more directly, my chest and lap, so I'm not ultra-concerned about falls, and the incline seems to slow them down some when they get rambunctious. With most of my spiders the goal is to safely keep them under control until they decide to calm down (now, some rarely have to be calmed down, like my P. antinous and A. seemanni). That means, for some of them, the step from hand-to-hand method, which is horizontal when the spider is calm but near-vertical when freaked out; for others, especially Old Worlders, it means having them race up my arms and intercepting them before they get too far, repeating the process over and over again. This is how spiders get on your back. For me the upper arm is the point of no return, if they make it beyond that point, you've got a problem. Not all of my spiders are willing to play by the rules, either, my P. antinous though normally very calm, will, if spooked, take off like lightning and instead of crossing over from one hand to the other she'll head down, between my hands and then do a 180 and start running up the underside of my arm. That actually hurts a little, as she is not a small spider and she has to dig in those claws to hold on like that.

So basically, I try to let the spider do what it wants to do within the realm of what I can control until it decides to hell with it and either gouges my eyes out or stops panicking. Fortunately, the former has yet to happen, although I just acquired a Het Mac so you never know.

Adrian

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pics

thanks for the replies everyone. Here are those pictures i was talking about. They're super-blurry. Sorry about that.
Paul

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ive taken over 50 pics of me and nova and all taken came out likes yours >_< so annoying isnt it?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Blurry or not it's nice to see peoples T's and them enjoying their T's.
Thanks for sharing them with us.
:)