More G. Rosea insight...

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pet rocks indeed. But when one retreats to a hide for a prolonged period of time...is this a sign of premolt? I've had her for quite a while (no molt yet though, my other spiders are Arboreal so this one is my first Terrestrial) and she never uses her hide.....he/she..w.e it may be. (I call them she's, one can hope eh? ^^)So uh..common premolt behavior for a rosie?

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... But when one retreats to a hide for a prolonged period of time...is this a sign of premolt? ... So uh..common premolt behavior for a rosie?
Yes, but it's also common behavior for a lot of other reasons. For instance, since this is mid-winter in Chile, if it hasn't yet made the change to Northern Hemisphere living (assuming that's where you live) it may simply be hunkering down for the winter.

Captive bred and well acclimated, wild caught roses may molt in the Northern Hemisphere spring, freshly imported ones generally molt during Chile's spring... Northern Hemisphere fall. Many tarantulas that are extremely long term captives will lose track of the seasons in our homes and may molt just about anytime. Having said all that, under any normal circumstances, this is probably the wrong season to expect a molt.

Generally it's a sign that she doesn't want to be disturbed. Just make sure she always has a dish of fresh water handy and forget it. When she wants food or attention she'll come out and tell you.

If this bores you, go out and buy another species as well. You really, Really, REALLY need another tarantula! :)