More Dead Rattlesnakes. Great Basin Rattler

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
My husband found this on the road... dead :( Looks like it ate something before it was killed.
I think the Great Basin rattlers are SO pretty!! makes me sad to see them dead all over the roads.
When we were taking pictures of it all of our chickens were around us clucking up a ruckus!!! They were freaked out by it! My goat and the cats were all having a fit too. Amazing that they know its dangerous and they've never seen one before! They dont get that upset when they see my sandboas..

Last edited:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like the rattler just took a meal.

Yeah it's a real shame to see DOR everywhere.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Off topic, but did that goat just eat a pizza?
Yes! He did!.... well, we ate the pizza and he just ADORES playing with the boxes. So we give him the box to tear apart and throw all over. You should see what he does with a pair of FlipFlops!!!:rolleyes:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Were you at all tempted to open it up to see
what it's last meal might have been? The snake, not the goat.;)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That sucks. You have nice looking lutosus in that area
I hope this wont start a dead rattler trend here... :)

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Were you at all tempted to open it up to see
what it's last meal might have been? The snake, not the goat.;)
I wanted to see what it had eaten, but it stunk so bad I wasnt going to go anywhere near it with a knife! My husband wouldnt do it either! The kids all just said EEEEWWWWW MOM! So I buried it....:eek:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, the gross factor would have been pretty high. I don't think I would have been able to do it either.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wanted to see what it had eaten, but it stunk so bad I wasnt going to go anywhere near it with a knife! My husband wouldnt do it either! The kids all just said EEEEWWWWW MOM! So I buried it....:eek:
You could have squeezed the prey out through the mouth
My guess its a prairie dog and after the meal on the road the dessert was a truck

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I would rather use a knife than squeezed the meal out!! UGH... ew... :D
Im thinking your right, the area we found it has a lot of those little ground squirrels (potguts). Lump looks the right size.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if anything, that snake would look good in a jar of ethanol, it still looks in pretty good shape

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea that is what i was thinking... I would like to trying to "stuff" a rattler, just i've never found a dead one... maybe i could get one of you westerners to send me a dead one...

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
The reason I didnt skin it or bottle it or mess with it too much was because its protected and I would probably get introuble just taking a picture of it...
I think you have to have special permits just to have a peice of a rattler here. Not so sure so I didnt press the issue.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Beautiful rattler, a lot pretty in coloration than some of the more heavy colored/patterned I've seen from around the country. Pity it had to be dead though. All we get around here are smooshed Black Rat snakes, thick as thieves here.