More complex/big enclosures

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most of us don't use them for pure cost reasons...but I've always wondered why they are not done more. People say tarantulas will starve to death...ridiculous IMO. The only disadvantage I can see is that you will seldom see your spider.

Lets use this tank as an example. It was set up with dart frogs from Costa Rica in mind.

But I've always looked at it and thought it would be cool to do another one like it and put a sling or two in and see what would happen(dunno what a good communal sp. if any would be good. Since this is Costa Rica rainforest perhaps an Avicularia, or maybe B. albopilosum would be appropriate). This tank was seeded with isopods and their are tons running around everywhere now, they seem about sling sized morsels. Additionally, some tropical roach species could be added to breed(banana, dubia etc.). You wouldn't have control over how much the spider eats, but I think it would be interesting to try. As the spider grew larger and its need for food increased you would have to add food though. The main problem with the above tank is the ventilation is totally inadequate for tarantulas...it has a fan to circulate air but also a glass lid. But if it were designed with T's in mind that problem would be nil.

Or maybe their is something big I am missing.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the setup is pleasing to look at just by itself. however, if you put slings in there, i think they would have an awfully difficult time finding food, or you need to put a lot of little bugs in there that if becomes problematic and (if you do) the crickets would out grow the sling fast and perhaps eat it. if you don't mind risking cannibalism, i would put a couple adult avics or pokies in there though...maybe.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't plan on putting any slings in...but the thought was if someone built something similar.

I think if someone were to do this juveniles at about the 1.5-2 inch mark would fair nicely. No need to add crickets(they would likely chew up the plants too). I think you could start up a colony of green banana roaches first, in addition to the isopods. Roach species could be added in as the spiders grow and are able to eat them/stay safe from them.

I've always thought that in general the T's are safe from being eaten by bugs if they have a silken retreat to hide in.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ya, cuz in your original post you mentioned putting in a sling or two...to have a semi-self sustaining little ecosystem would be really nice though. :)