MORE Babies!

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok, so it started out as one centruroides exilicauda with babies (2-16). then another girl came out a couple days later (2-18).

well, now a THIRD girl has come out with a load of babies (2-25).

i took the opportunity to take pics of all 3.

mom #1:

mom #2:

mom#3:

i'm going to be up to my eyeballs in babies!!! :eek:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
babies from the 2-16-07 mom are molting! more than half are done now. can't wait for them to get off her and start wandering. i have lots of vials to set up, though. :eek:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used to have a colony of around 20 and when they all decided to drop all at once I was scrambling to get vials. I was overwhelmed to say the least.

BTW, you might want to keep several offspring for yourself in order to replenish you colony. I am assuming your adults are w/c? If so there is no way of knowing how old they are. When I first set up my colony, about 1/2 of the females started to burn up and die after they give birth. It was old age I'm sure. The others give birth at least one more time. Fortunately I had several youngsters that soon replaced them. I finally sold the entire colony last Fall as I was needing more room for other species I am focusing on now.

EDIT:
One more thing: Although this is a desert species, the young will especially appreciate a bit more humidity than your typical desert scorp. I had problems keeping them alive at first until I figured out a system to raise them. They seem to do better when giving bone dry peat moss as substrate. You can add very little water which the peat will retain. I had alot of deaths keeping early instars on sand. Be sure to give them a tall piece of bark that goes to the top of the vial. That way if you accidently get it too moist they can climb higher where its a bit more dry. You will need to experiment some to figure out what is too moist and what is too dry. Once you get your system down they will be real easy to raise.

Last edited:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, i figured out the humidity/moisture a while ago. :)

i'll probably keep about 1/3-1/2, and trade/sell off the rest. i only have 6 adults at the moment. probably WC.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's awesome i assume you'll be selling some. I want a to start a colony of Centruroides so let me know when you'll be looking for buyers.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes, some will be sold. i like to perpetuate the addition of others :)

all of the babies (except maybe one or two) on mom #1 are now molted. i assume i must wait until they willingly leave mommy in order to relocate them.

it looks like most of mom #2's babies are molting.

i don't have enough vials!!!! looks like i'll be putting them in 50 ml conical vials... taller than i'd like, but it's all i have.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i just pulled 18 babies from mom #1. my q-tip taped to a pencil is probably LOADED with venom now...

she's back with the other adults, and will hopefully eat, drink, and fatten herself back up.

i've got the babies on dried peat with a climbing twig (individually housed, of course). they'll get a couple drops of water and a piece of a cricket later tonite. :)

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
looks like one little guy didn't make it.

still waiting for the rest to molt. :eek:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
second mom's babies are now split up.

she had 11, but one crawled off her and apparently died.

so now we're up to 27, plus the third mom's babies... and she has a LOT. :D

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
final count came to 37. mom #3 lost 4 due to molt complications.

all appear well, and are feasting on cricket bits. :D

their adorable little orange selves helps me to to ignore the fact that it takes ~45 minutes to cut up the crickets, remove leftovers, and feed/mist all of them. especially when it's 2 am :p

Brandelmouche

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats Kitty, they are beautiful.:cool: :cool: :cool:

If you have to mutch pullus ¨think of me.¨;)

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
next time you have one pop, start getting pinheads ready. from what I recall when i last needed them, it takes only 2-3 weeks. i just put 2 dozen adults in a butter tub with an inch of moist peat and they do the rest. feed them off the next morning and keep the peat moist. i keep mine in my reptile room so its a constant 85 degrees. if i get in stuff and dont have any ready i just buy some 2nds or 3rd week crickets, give them a light roll in my fingers then drop them in. this seems to even work for the smallest of tarantulas. ive yet to have to convince anything to eat at that age.