More babies than I thought :)

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just like that Tityus seraltus looking like some african fat tail!?!....eh?

HMMMM,,,,Do you keep Emps? and how active are they?

Mat

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Neo,

My sweating comment was in response to your saying how you can barely breath without drowning at that humdity. I was suggesting that maybe scorpions don't see it as so stiffling.

Secondly, relatively humidity, by definition, is the percentage of the saturation vapour pressure. You can not go above 100%, since water precipitates out at 100% (i.e. turns into drops). Basically, the very definition of relative humidity prevents anything above 100%

As for care sheets, I find that invertcare is much more in line with my personal experiences and those of other hobbiests I've talked with.
Their sheet says 85%. Regardless of all that, the point is to give them access to the high humidity, not ensure that the entire enclosure is that high. In my opinion, there should be a range all the way from 100 down to 80, both in terms of % humidity and degrees farenheit. As I said a few posts back, "all conditions should be escapable."

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm thinking that the young emps (past first instar) are most vunerable to dessication when they're molting. IME, immature emperors usually molt in their burrows, often sealed. If the substrate is on the moist side, the humidity in those burrows is going to be 100% or close to it, regardless of what any humidity guage on the surface says.

So even if the cage humidy is kinda low, the scorps are still seeking out the high humidity microhabitat of a burrow when they need it.

Other than trying to get a handle of the humidity of a room, humidity guages have never seemed useful to me.

Wade

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I don't know who your asking but........I use to keep them until somehow parasites got on them, and I couldn't stop it and they died..........

:(

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
To keep your emps in healthy condition you want at least 80% humidity and areas of higher humidity in some part of the enclosure. They can survive at lower RH but you may notice them sitting in their water dish. This is a general indication for scorpions in captivity that higher humidity is needed in their enclosure. These scorps(emps) are from the jungle of central africa where the humidity will be higher than 80% nearly all of the time. It certainly will be that high in their burrows. This goes for Heterometrus sp. too.

As far as having relative humidity higher than 100%. That is not possible as Dave has stated above, once 100% RH is reached water condences out of the air as either rain, fog or dew(condensation). If you were to imerse your humidity gauge in water it would read 100% if it is calibrated correctly...though this may also damage it so I would not try it.

John
];')