More babies than I thought :)

mostasteless

Arachnopeon
First I want to thank all of you for great info in taking care of my emp and its babies. I rarely post (think this is my 2 or 3 post) but just reading this site has helped alot so I wanna say thanks.
Anyway, I finally seperated the baby emps from their mother, after a month together, and I counted 13, when they were on their mothers back I onlt counted 11 so im happy about that. Guess that means most if not all survived their first month =D . What I was wondering is when can I stop worring about the babies dying so easily because my new tank is a little lower in humidity that the last. The other one was nearing 100% humidity but this one is only at about 80% and I am having real trouble getting the humidity higher. I have 1.5" of fish tank rocks at the bottom of the tank filled with water and a little over 90% of the top is covered with 20% window tint (I had to put the light very close to the tank and it was drying it out even worse with only plastic wrap. the temp is reading the same (80 degrees at the far end of the light) so I don't think that will be an issue. If need be I will go get a humidifyer to boost the humidity a bit I don't know if it will be necessary.
Thanks,
John

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try live plants or just good old heavy misting. Other than that, You could ditch the light and go for an undertank mat heater on the side. Restrict airflow as much as possible, but allow for some . Say 90-95% covered. Plexiglass or a pane of glass work great I hoist mine up half an inch all around.

This what i can think of for now.

Mat

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Humidifiers are usually on sale this time of year at WalMart. I think the last I saw was $26.00 and would easily suffice for a number of enclosures with the output it has. Heat pads will, as stated, dissipate less humidity. You also wont get such high temps though.

adios,
edw. =D

mostasteless

Arachnopeon
I think im gonna keep on the misting for a few days and see if it brimgs up the humidity up a bit but if not im gonna look into a Humidifier.
Thanks for your help,
John

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stupid me i always thought a humidifire was too decrease humidity not increase it i should look into one too.:}

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They drop prices on them this time of year because natural humidity levels increase and they aren't needed as often, so they still want to sell them. I also make use of a dehumidifier, which is only partially routed to my Hadrurus' new enclosure because humidity levels are just a slight bit too high here for them during this time of year. It was far more expensive than the humidifier.

adios,
edw. =D

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah thats right its a dehumidifire i would need for my h.spadix i was thinking about getting one a little humid here humidity has reach almost 70 twice. How high has it reached there in your enclosure Ed?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Hadrurus enclosure has yet to breach 64%. So far, so good. I'm still monitoring it prior to placing the scorps in it. I don't want it to drain too much humidity out of the air if the locale I'm in happens to have a dry spell for a few days (hence the reason why it's only partially routed to the enclosure). The enclosure is also eight feet long by two feet wide by two feet tall, times two (one up top and one on bottom) and has already had several modifications since I began testing it to accomodate for different temp ranges and humidity ranges. After it's all good in the initial study stage, I'll place the scorps in it and monitor them for a while.

adios,
edw. :D

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know why people haven't said this but, 100% humidity is wayyyyyyyyyy too much for emperors. Over access. 80% is just perfect if still too much. Mines was what....70% tops and I raised 32 of them, starting from 3 scorpions.

The humidity was rolling off of them, lol. Who gave you the idea that scorpions need 100% humidity to servive bud?

They might become fishes before you know it.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
In my experience, Heterometrus sp. require damn near 100% humidity -- especially the young'uns. While I have heard that emps need slightly less, they still apparently need quite high humidity. For adults, it isn't likely to be as obvious, but if you try to raise juvies at low humidities, you will have moulting problems.

I use large tanks for my Heterometrus so I use a 100/100 rule. Some part of the tank should approach 100% humdity and some part should approach 100F. Both conditions should be escapable, though. Thing is, all my Heterometrus have always hung out near the 100% humidity and about 90F given a choice of all conditions.

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So youre saying you`ve raised 1st instars to maturity in 70 % humidity? I`m not sure if i beleive that ...are you sure youre humidity gage worked properly?

I found one of my males totally submersed yesterday in its water dish. At first i was concerned, But as soon as i opened the cage it jumped out of the water and cruised right back in to its burrow. I beleive that emps are quite tolerable, but young definately need very high humidity.

Mat

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scratch Scratch....Um during the summer time it sometimes goes to 80-85 but most of the time its 70%. I just think 100% is like....exhausting humidity, where you can barely breath without drowning yourself. I've got it to 80% and I could see water practically dripping off of them. They look like they were sweating.

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well if humidity was dripping off them it might have been more than 100%:?

Mat

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Neo,

Scorpions don't sweat and thus don't experience the same effects that we do at high humidity.

Mat,

Actualy, at 100% humidity, water precipiates. Thus, you can't have more than 100%. :) If water is condensing on the scorpion, then the local humidity is 100%

Anyhow, the point is to approach 100%, not actualy reach it. Plus, I think emps do benefit from a slightly lower humidiyt -- so lets say 90%. :)

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i beleive that adult emps could find 100% hum. exausting. And definately need a place to escape too, But i think there might be something we haven`t figured out yet about Emps. I`m going to try feeding gold fish to mine this weekend. If they except it...I`m going to redo my whole cage to experiment ...
WAHAHAHAHAHH!

Mat

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA!

Well the funny thing is...After work i checked my cell phone messages. Nat left one saying that my Cali king struck a mouse right out of the foreceps as she was trying to feed it and coiled all up around it !. I`m soooo jalouse `cause the best i`ve witnessed , well you were there Dave , was it taking a mouse backwards(wich was scary from an owners point of view). The point i`m getting at is....I think she`s starting to gain an interest. Feeding my snake `cause it looked hungry and she was bored. LOL...She just might join this dark side one day!

Mat

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Mat,

Yeah, well she did admit to me while you were out of the room that she liked the snake. And yes, it ate a mouse backwards -- as bad as our Charlotte, he is. Anyhow, I'm not convinced that Natalie's on her way to the dark side. The day she phones me up behind your back to get some Androctonus is the day she has arrived.

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think i would fall of my rocker if that ever happened.LOL

Mat

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Neo,

Scorpions don't sweat and thus don't experience the same effects that we do at high humidity.

Mat,

Actualy, at 100% humidity, water precipiates. Thus, you can't have more than 100%. :) If water is condensing on the scorpion, then the local humidity is 100%

Anyhow, the point is to approach 100%, not actualy reach it. Plus, I think emps do benefit from a slightly lower humidiyt -- so lets say 90%. :)

Cheers,
Dave
Well first of all I said "they Look like they were sweating", didn't say they do sweat. Anyone who kept scorpions for 6 years know a simple fact such as this. Humidity I believe and Have heard, does go above 100% to a point that the minute they have contact, they simply condense to water. There was this country with that problem, I must get back to you on that.

And 90% is still way too much. Observe this website everyone. Its from professional invert keepers.

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/P-imperator.html

Thank you for your time...laterz