Moon/Halloween crab bubbling from mouth.

Tas413

Arachnopeon
I got two moon/Halloween/whateveryouwanttocallthem crabs 2 months ago. Recently I noticed that the larger one (male) has been getting progressively lethargic over the past 2 or 3 weeks. I'm not sure if he's been eating but I tried to pay very close attention to his food. Last night he wasn't trying to shuffle around like normal and sat in the open (he stayed in the open only moving slightly over the weeks). Today he wasn't moving and he started bubbling from his mouth, I don't know how long he's been bubbling (the bubbles are clear). I wasn't sure if he was molting, dying, or stressed since I started keeping an eye on him.

I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Bubbling is normal its just a crab oxygenating the water stored in its gills I believe, I've seen fiddler crabs do it all the time so I wouldn't worry too much about the bubbling. As for the other stuff I honestly don't know what could be wrong or if behavior is normal since I've never worked with these crabs.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
When I've seen bubbling in terrestrial crabs, it's often due to what dragonfire said, or stress. Can you post pictures of the enclosure? It may be stressed for some reason.

Tas413

Arachnopeon
I didn't see these replies, I probably should probably mess with the notification things. Anyway, I just checked on him and it's starting to smell of dead fish so I'm sure it's safe to assume he died. I can still post pictures of the tank enclosure if you'd like but I want to move the body out first.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I didn't see these replies, I probably should probably mess with the notification things. Anyway, I just checked on him and it's starting to smell of dead fish so I'm sure it's safe to assume he died. I can still post pictures of the tank enclosure if you'd like but I want to move the body out first.
Go for it. Remove the body, then pictures.

Tas413

Arachnopeon
There's was a second cave before he died but I moved it because another pet needed it (what they had before grew mold). There was a tank before this about the same size but with about 2 or 3 inches of just sand and less decor (just the two caves, water bowl, and shells), he started dying before I moved him in the new tank though. When I first moved him in here he went into one of the caves but then crawled out in the open later on and stayed there. The substrate is aquarium sand mixed with coconut fiber and dirt without the insecticide and whatnot (my father was determined that I use that mixture). The water dish was only big enough for him to get a little more than half his body submerged, I'm in the process of getting a deeper one.

I can't get many shots through the glass it's a little too dirty no matter how hard I scrub.

Attachments