Mood swings?

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was just noticing lately that my grammostola aureostriata has been terribly feisty since her last molt. She molted back in December. I just thought it was weird because she was a good girl before her molt, and now if I brush her abdomen with something she whips around and attacks it. No threat displays, no skittering away, just BAM.
I was wondering if maybe it's because she's hungry? Or, is she in her "terrible two's"? She seriously makes my haplopelma lividum look like a teddy bear. At least the haplo will warn me before attacking. Navi just goes for the throat, no questions asked!
She's approximately 3" big.
Thanks!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a G aureo that's probably one molt bigger than yours. (just under 4") And since the last molt has become pretty prey-aggressive. Not as much as A geniculata (psycho) but still pretty quick to bite anything edible-sized like a paintbrush or water drops, etc. If i don't act like dinner tho' she's still a teddy bear. I also have a 3" G rosea that's undergone a similar attitde adjustment. maybe it's part of being a teenager...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Spiderz iz spiderz. Heh.

Seriously though...they act how they act. Not much else I can say.

My two cents, anyway. :}

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't want to scare you, but that was the exact same scenario with my G. rosea. She was a doll before the molt, and is now all fangs and threat displays. Its been like this since September of 07. She occasionally has a good day, though.{D

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think she's bringing out her wild side.. :D

unleash the fury!! {D

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my limited experience, I've noticed that sometimes tarantulas will seem to get real stiff and reluctant to move prior to a molt.

My first purchase in 06 was the Crassicus lamanai in my avatar pic. She was very dried out and ratty looking. The store clerk told me they it had been there over a month and they'd never seen it move or eat. I had it out and it was like holding a ceramic statue. I purchased it at half price and set her up in a proper enclosere with some extra humidity.

I had her at home for another month or so in the same condition. I'd pick her up once or twice a week just to make sure she was alive, until finally she molted. What came out was a beautiful multi brown toned screaming demon! Ever since she has eaten like a pig, and I've never been able to hold her again. Last year around the same time she walled herself up in her hide, and probably stiffened up again, although this time I left her alone.

The behavior change is probably more a difference in physiology caused by the molt cycle than a mood or personality issue. You can probably expect it to stay fiesty for the next ten months or so as you are now seeing it's "normal" tempermant.....

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well that's pooey, because I thought the aureostriata were good "beginner" species because of their cuddly disposition. She's still young yet and has another 4 or 5" to grow. Hopefully she's just being the rebellious teen right now and will calm down a bit. :)

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL- You can always hope :D

If nothing else she may eventually calm down as she gets more acclimated to you handling her.

Good luck with your rebel!

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Isn't it funny when 3" T's act like 5" T's. :)
It is also possible that she is hungry. But keep in mind, These guys are somewhat related to rosie's:D

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd love to see a pic of this 'demon' aureo...:?
We've had several of these guys; raised from 1/2" to adulthood and all are just made of sugar.
How much and often are you feeding her? These kids tend to be piggish.
Especially after a molt....
She just sounds like she's ready to eat, to me. :D

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a Chaco, fiesty like yours, Alexa. I also had it as a tiny sling, and then one day...poof. She started smacking at everything. I gave her away before her next molt, so I don't know if she cahnged at all. Rebels! Sheesh.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd love to see a pic of this 'demon' aureo...:?
We've had several of these guys; raised from 1/2" to adulthood and all are just made of sugar.
How much and often are you feeding her? These kids tend to be piggish.
Especially after a molt....
She just sounds like she's ready to eat, to me. :D
Well after looking at a few pictures, she does look skinnier than other spiders. Not emaciated, but definitely not as round-butted as some that I've seen. I've been feeding her every week and a half to two weeks because I thought that was normal, but maybe since she molted not long ago I should have been feeding her more often? :8o Now I feel bad, like I've been starving her to death. I gave her a roach one week, then the next feeding I think I gave her a mealworm...I can't remember honestly exactly what and how often and how much I fed her, but it seems it might not have been enough. I'll work on fattening her up and see how she does. Sorry everyone, I feel like a giant jerk right now... :(

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't think your starving her at all. However, slings do tend to eat more often after a molt.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She's not really a sling...she looks to be about 3.5" in size so definitely nowhere near adult. I still think I wasn't feeding her enough since Rochelle mentioned it and after looking up other pictures. I'll probably go buy her some crickets this weekend, just for her :)
It just seemed odd that she would just attack without a threat pose or hair-flick or anything, just struck at whatever it was. So, I'm pretty sure she just needs more food.
Thanks for everyone's help!

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...And here I am thinking I was the only one with a psycho Chaco! {D My female was super-sweet before her last molt... Unfortunately she got wild afterwards. Sometimes if she doesn't like it when I take the lid off her terrarium she'll walk around and smack her front legs down every couple inches or so. If I touch her back leg with an artist's brush she'll tag it. Hmph. Mood swings :rolleyes: I hope your Chaco mellows by the time it gets big!

-Sarah

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, whoever said it is right, spiders is spiders....

MY choco went through the same changes back and forth. Totally eager to love on me when he was 1" - molt - then "Hey Mom, Back OFF!!!" - Two weeks later -- "Hey Mom, whass up??"

Now he comes out and doesn't want to go back in. The little love bug.

As I feel in to him I can tell he is just his own spider. Moods like ours and changes with growing. He will always say hello but still makes his own choice. If I honor his choice he is always fine. Duh. Same as me.

inbntly

Arachnopeon
Geez, I hope I don't end up getting an aureo like that. It will be my first T so I'm really hoping it will be very docile and have good temperment/behavior. Especially because even from not owning them, I think there amazing already, and would hate for an ill-tempered T to ruin it for me :( . Maybe it is just something within that age, or like you said it could also just means shes hungry :p hopefully its the second one.

Best of luck!

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Geez, I hope I don't end up getting an aureo like that. It will be my first T so I'm really hoping it will be very docile and have good temperment/behavior. Especially because even from not owning them, I think there amazing already, and would hate for an ill-tempered T to ruin it for me :( . Maybe it is just something within that age, or like you said it could also just means shes hungry :p hopefully its the second one.

Best of luck!

Well, here's what I found out so far about mine (I have two). The male is skittish, but a total doll-baby when he's out. The female... Ehh. :rolleyes: She goes all over the place. It's strange... The female used to be meek and mild like the male, now she's the exact opposite. The male's pretty much stayed calm. I think G. aureostriata are more prone to having these changes in temperament more than G. rosea (AKA, the 1 in 1000 "psycho rose hair"); but then again, having said that, any tarantula can bite you at any point in time and place - with or without giving typical warning signs. Hopefully though, our Chacos are just at that "eating machine" stage. I wonder how long that lasts... :D

-Sarah

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't even think you can compare a Rosea to any type of psychotic category only because they ALL seem to suffer from some soft of neurotic, skittish I wanna love you one day and hate you the next type syndrome, at some point in their lives!

Owning a Chaco = :D

Owning a Rosea = :?

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well and from what I've heard, they're mostly docile as adults, anyway. I'm going to try giving her more food and see if that chills her out. She is starting to look a little more plump but not quite to that size where she looks thick. :)