Monocetropus balfouri?

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What makes you think that M. balfouri would be less defensive? There aren't any other T's from africa that are considered docile, so why do you think M. balfouri would be?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And what about Heterothele villosella, Eucratoscelus pachypus ...

In my opinion the african species reputation is real ridiculous

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep I'd agree entirely. I keep many Heterothele villosella and lots of Ceratogyrus spp., Pterinochilus spp, and other African species. The only one of them that I'd consider as instantly defensive is Pterinochilus murinus. The others seem no better nor worse than New Worlds.

It's the same with pokies. They seem to have picked up a reputation as fang wielding maniacs for some reason. Mine just tend to run away and hide when confronted.

If you leave them alone and don't aggravate them, then I find that most supposedly defensive spiders are fine.

Oh, and M. balfouri are very nice spiders in the flesh. Most pictures I've seen (barring Timo's one and a few others) don't do them justice.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, and M. balfouri are very nice spiders in the flesh. Most pictures I've seen (barring Timo's one and a few others) don't do them justice.
Agree'd Phil, they are beautiful in the flesh,only saw the slings though. slings are a beautiful gunmetal colour none the less.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i can't wait until they're more available in the trade, even though it will most likely take a few years.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys for backing me up on them. All I wanted was just to know more about them. o.o;

I'd just love to see one in the flesh someday. I'm sure they're even more beautiful.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never dealt with H. villosella or E. pachybus, but all the encounters I've had with P. lugardi and Ceratogyrus species were like less colorful OBT's, but the attitude of "if you get close enough I will bite you" was the same.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With the years I observed something about the Ceratogyrus spp., they are very unpredictable, can seem extremly calm and 1 second later they're extremly nervous and can be defensive ... i've been impressed by many Ceratogyrus spp with this ...

About the defensive behavior, the Pterinochilus murinus can be defenaive yes but my most defensive species is Hysterocrates spp., sold as gigas

Last edited:

surfer

Arachnopeon
Here is some info about this species

Scientific name : Monocentropus balfouri Pocock, 1897

The adults of the species are kept and bred on dry substrate with a single live plant in the terrarium. The plant is watered a little once a month, and the adult females are provided with water dishes.

The spiderlings display communal behaviour and 10 spiderlings are raised together in 20 x 20 box for more than a year and they live happily with each other without any signs of predation or cannibalism. By doing this, they grow better, and it is interesting to see them communicating with each other when together like this.

We ca also kept some spiderlings with their mother in a terrarium for more that 1.5 years, (3cm legspan) without any problems whatsoever.
This is my experience.

I have article about this species, but only in Czech so i am trying translating this article into English.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
who is the author? Surfer (aka David) is. he breeds them so much he gives them away for free! thanks again David!

Eddy

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just curious - what's the hustle about this species?:? Its looks don't strike my fancy in the least :p

surfer

Arachnopeon
who is the author? Surfer (aka David) is. he breeds them so much he gives them away for free! thanks again David!

Eddy
Hi Eddy,
That is all right I have no fear because balfil will be in the good hands, enjoy them. I hope we will meet at the autumn show in KWH, at this time I am trying incubate new eggsack which looks bad and nymph are crawl out from now...but we will se...

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
for sure i will be there again! i hope Ota will be there to then. a view days away from baby crying will be good for him!

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks a lot for the posts. Very helpful. x)

Speedreader, I simply like them because I like them. I created this thread because I like them and I wanted to know more about them.

I probably don't like the t's you like, but I definitely don't go into your thread questioning why you like them so much.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i personally like the faded-looking balfouris as much as the intense-looking ones. i think the blue and pale yellow contrasts really well.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
octoo, I didn't mean to be impolite. I just really have no idea why people want this species. May be it could do cartwheels or something else that's not obvious from the photo - hence the question.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I understand, and I guess the whole thing goes towards people's opinions.

I can't really tell you, just something about them I like.. even with any of the colors they come in. Maybe also since they are still a huge mystery to me.