Monocetropus balfouri?

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm pretty curious now after running into these guys in the gallery. Incredibly beautiful, and I am now assuming they are pretty rare for anyone in the United States right now. Anyone have any ideas about them? How they behave and how tempermental they are?.. and Does anyone also think they have an idea as to when these will be up for sale and how much they would cost? I'd imagine they'd be up there with the metallicas if not higher.

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are a few actually in the states right now (very recent)... I know that a few breeders are working on breeding them, but don't know when they'll be available. They'll probably be quite pricey though..

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For the Xth time....:wall:

Can someone telle us the basic about them. Like temperament, size, care?????

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For the Xth time....:wall:

Can someone telle us the basic about them. Like temperament, size, care?????
I see you are from montreal, If you wanna know about this species, ask Martin, he have as few of those;) I'm pretty sure he knows much about them.

Take care!

Alain

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks. Probably a T i'll never get to own, but very beautiful anyway. My dream t I guess. X)

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Meh, from what I've seen they have to be in perfect lighting(even more so than H. lividum) to look even slightly blue, other than that its a way overpriced brown T. If you like the color save yourself the money and get a cobalt.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi spider_fan

Meh, from what I've seen they have to be in perfect lighting(even more so than H. lividum) to look even slightly blue, other than that its a way overpriced brown T.
Exactly how many have you actually seen?

Eric

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The fact that there is only 1 or 2 pictures of them that have that light blue sheen, while there are plenty of pictures where they are all brown. I've never seen a picture of H. lividum where it didn't have blue on at least part of the legs.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think I'll wait on this and wait until they get more common to see for myself how they look, thanks.

I would like to find out more about their temperment, etc. also.
I'm sure I'd prefer one over the cobalt if I knew it wouldn't bite my finger off.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen plenty with the blue coloration on the internet.. I've also seen brown.

But I'd rather hear what they look like from someone who has seen one in person, and someone who knows a bit about them.

Pictures can't tell someone everything.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
H. lividum

M. balfouri

The M. balfouri is a mature male, I couldn't find any females with the blue. Try arachnogallery for another blue pic as well.

In any case, the H. lividum looks better, at least to me, and is far cheaper. If you want a brown spider that has some pretty colorful mature males P. cancerides is also a good choice, and cheap too. The way I see it M. balfouri brings nothing new to the table, therefore I don't see the reason for the hype for it.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

I still prefer them over H. lividum.. and I repeat again, I'm curious to what temperment is like on balfouri. Plus who's to say a lividum just won't hide away forever. I'm still interested in balfouri.

These are just my opinions. Not everyone will find the same interest in the same kind of tarantulas, I only created this thread for answers on a mystery t for me, not to be preached on how ugly it really is to you. Thanks for your input, however.

The pic was taken from a previous thread about Monocentropus.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The M. balfouri is a mature male, I couldn't find any females with the blue. Try arachnogallery for another blue pic as well.

In any case, the H. lividum looks better, at least to me, and is far cheaper. If you want a brown spider that has some pretty colorful mature males P. cancerides is also a good choice, and cheap too. The way I see it M. balfouri brings nothing new to the table, therefore I don't see the reason for the hype for it.
I don't think that's a fair comparison. It's obvious that that particular H. lividum (beautiful specimen) just recently molted. As for the M.balfouri we know nothing of it's molt cycle. Most people know that post-molt Ts exoskeletons have refreshed colors, and pre-molt they're faded.

Also, how did this become a debate about which T is more beautiful? It's all relative anyways.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Exactly. :)

I just wanted some answers on this tarantula I was curious about that I thought looked very interesting. I just wanted to show that I still liked them anyway, even if I'm not clear on their coloration.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wasn't trying to say its ugly octoo, I think its nice looking. I just don't think it will be worth the ridiculous amounts people will be asking for it when it becomes more common. I feel the same way about X immanis, its pretty, but not $175+ for a sling pretty. In my opinion the only spider worth a large sum is P. metallica. It combines the metallic blue of H. lividum with the beautiful pattern of poecilotheria, offering something completely unique.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd like to know a few more things about balfouri myself. in addition to all the basic care info, why are so few imported? why are they a thousand plus here but the equivalent of 200-300 in Europe?

with google and arachnoboards at my disposal, all i've turned up was a price range, that a few were imported into the US a while back, they come from Yemen, and a bunch of pretty pictures.

this is, by the way, my main objective tarantula.

Last edited:

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you, and I apologize also for misunderstanding. I do agree with prices, I know I won't be able to afford the future asking price for these things also. I merely just wanted to know a few more details about these guys since they are still very unknown, despite my frequent searchings for information on them.

X) It is certaintly a tarantula I would still like to have in my possession some day if I am ever lucky. Lividums are also beautiful in my opinion.

I was just a little curious about M. balfouri because I think they'd make very nice alternatives to anyone who didn't think they could handle other beautiful but more advanced tarantulas such as pokies or the lividum.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I never thought of M. balfouri as a "blue spider". If I want blue I'd buy a P. metallica. (then again I also think X. imminas is worth 175 bucks) It should be noted though , that alot of the "brown" M. balfouri pics floating around are of s'lings, or juv's. H. lividum is only blue when its not buried under 12 inches of dirt.;)

Later, Tom