Has anyone seen the photo on the Internet monocentropus longimanus

Send a link
Thank you

toro

Arachnopeon
species described long ago, but the photo does not exist anywhere :(

bannishg

Arachnopeon
Species was described as being from Yemen, (not explicitly Socotra Island like M. Balfouri), so likely from mainland Arabian Yemen. I don't expect any spider surveys will be conducted in that area anytime soon, due to a most unfortunate political climate. If anywhere it would probably inhabit the only stretches of tropical forest on the Arabian Peninsuela, which are around Aden, and near and into the coastal border with Oman.

Another species I would like to see photos of, but probably won't for the same reason, is Selenocosmia Pritami (Dyer, 1935), the only recorded tarantula to occur in Pakistan. Since it isn't specified whether it is West Pakistan (Pakistan as we know it today) or East Pakistan (today known as Bangladesh), it may indeed be a Bangladeshi spider. This still doesn't rule out the possibilities of tarantulas in Pakistan, as it is almost 100% certain they can be found there.

On that note, there are no species recorded to occur in Bangladesh, yet I know for a fact that the country is absolutely teeming with them. I have seen pictures of them, and most are the same spiders that are recorded in the Assam region of India and Burma. There are also many countries in Africa that have tons of them despite the having none of them described from the region.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Never seen a MM with such elongated pedipalps, maybe it's because the females are so vicious and the male needs to take every precaution possible.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Can tarantulas get any weirder? I mean really, does anyone else wonder what happened in the evolution of the mygalomorphae to spawn such strange looking spiders? It looks like nature was playing trial and error with these things. o_O
Never seen a MM with such elongated pedipalps, maybe it's because the females are so vicious and the male needs to take every precaution possible.
AGREED! Truly incredible to look at the proportions of the front leg and pedipalp femurs!! Wild!

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Can tarantulas get any weirder? I mean really, does anyone else wonder what happened in the evolution of the mygalomorphae to spawn such strange looking spiders? It looks like nature was playing trial and error with these things. o_O
I mean if you think about how some of the Asian fossiorials mate it's kinda surprising they don't all have long pedipalps like that.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
This male is the epitome of "better be safe than sorry", when it comes to tarantula breeding.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Awesome specimen, hope something more concrete about it come out soon.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Can someone send the photo included in that link? Not working for me as I lack a Facebook account.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I really want to know what a MF looks like now...

basin79

ArachnoGod
Can someone send the photo included in that link? Not working for me as I lack a Facebook account.
It isn't a link. It's literally the photo of the tarantula. Not sure why it's showing as a link for you.

To be honest I only thought Monocentropus had lambertoni and balfouri.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know if you have Instagram but, accordingly to Tarantupedia's account, they will post a video soon.
(See the commentaries section to find this info.)
No socials, but I'm guessing it'll be on their YT channel. I'll keep a watch on their channel, thank you for the heads up.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
It isn't a link. It's literally the photo of the tarantula. Not sure why it's showing as a link for you.

To be honest I only thought Monocentropus had lambertoni and balfouri.
Probably some cross-site cookie blocker or some software I pertain. Thanks for the heads up

Kaceydm

Arachnopeon
I seem to have revived a thread 😮

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It’s like a tarantula slowly evolving huntsman spider style long thin legs haha . :rofl: Ofc the t is stronger .

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Adult 0.1 Monocentropus longimanus
Interesting. How were you able to identify this tarantula as Monocentropus longimanus when the females don't share any remarkable characteristics that the male does? This is one of those intriguing species where the sexual dimorphism is so extreme that I'm curious how one matches one sex to the other.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I guess the species was described purely from the male. How else do you get that name. Ha ha

Long (as in palps are long) manus (male) thats how I am reading into it anyway 😀