Has anyone seen the photo on the Internet monocentropus longimanus

Send a link
Thank you

toro

Arachnopeon
species described long ago, but the photo does not exist anywhere :(

bannishg

Arachnopeon
Species was described as being from Yemen, (not explicitly Socotra Island like M. Balfouri), so likely from mainland Arabian Yemen. I don't expect any spider surveys will be conducted in that area anytime soon, due to a most unfortunate political climate. If anywhere it would probably inhabit the only stretches of tropical forest on the Arabian Peninsuela, which are around Aden, and near and into the coastal border with Oman.

Another species I would like to see photos of, but probably won't for the same reason, is Selenocosmia Pritami (Dyer, 1935), the only recorded tarantula to occur in Pakistan. Since it isn't specified whether it is West Pakistan (Pakistan as we know it today) or East Pakistan (today known as Bangladesh), it may indeed be a Bangladeshi spider. This still doesn't rule out the possibilities of tarantulas in Pakistan, as it is almost 100% certain they can be found there.

On that note, there are no species recorded to occur in Bangladesh, yet I know for a fact that the country is absolutely teeming with them. I have seen pictures of them, and most are the same spiders that are recorded in the Assam region of India and Burma. There are also many countries in Africa that have tons of them despite the having none of them described from the region.