Species Monocentropus balfouri

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
This may seem like an odd question, how do you go about feeding a communal setup?
Thankyou. Not an odd question at all. I just toss in a generous amount of roach/crix onto the web then it they are magically gone within a few hours.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Sorry about your male :(

They sure web a lot and fast too!
Thankyou, yes I think maybe she got spooked or just wasnt fed enough.

They do a fair bit of webbing. My 6x H. villosella so fast with the webs. They were so fast to eat each other too :dead:

Magenta

Arachnosquire
Thankyou. Not an odd question at all. I just toss in a generous amount of roach/crix onto the web then it they are magically gone within a few hours.
Do you pre-kill them? I'm just thinking about how molting would go? If one loses a leg or something, do you put it in its own enclosure?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Do you pre-kill them? I'm just thinking about how molting would go? If one loses a leg or something, do you put it in its own enclosure?
I dont pre kill them no. If I do them ot may not trigger hunting reponse. I dont think all would moult at exact same time so prey items would be eaten by other specimens

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
So since the penultimate got munched and evil adult female was removed. All but 1 are accounted for.

Here are a few that were out tonight.
IMG_2360.JPG

Magenta

Arachnosquire
You don't have issues with molting Ts being eaten by prey items? Or do they get eaten by the others before they have a chance to do that?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You don't have issues with molting Ts being eaten by prey items? Or do they get eaten by the others before they have a chance to do that?
I havent encountered feeders eating away at moulting Ts before. I believe it would be less risk in commune

Last edited:

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I have t encountered feeders eating away at moulting Ts before. I believe it would be less risk in commune
just wondering, as I've never kept this species, especially not in a communal set up, but with the case of the Female eating the Male, is it possible they might have paired?

just curios because I know somebody locally here who currently also has a M. Balfouri communal and he has a similar issue where he woke up to find one of his males to be Eaten by The Mature Female he had gotten from a different Sac, and it had turned out they had paired up in the night and she had eaten him after the fact.

i don't know too much about the species myself so i don't know much about their Mating or anything.

Magenta

Arachnosquire
I have t encountered feeders eating away at moulting Ts before. I believe it would be less risk in commune
Okay. This is a really informative and fascinating thread.

Thank you for sharing this!:D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
just wondering, as I've never kept this species, especially not in a communal set up, but with the case of the Female eating the Male, is it possible they might have paired?

just curios because I know somebody locally here who currently also has a M. Balfouri communal and he has a similar issue where he woke up to find one of his males to be Eaten by The Mature Female he had gotten from a different Sac, and it had turned out they had paired up in the night and she had eaten him after the fact.

i don't know too much about the species myself so i don't know much about their Mating or anything.
yes that is possible

keks

Arachnobaron
The parents of my 5 slings live together since many month, I don't remember the exact time, was too excited to see that :bag:. They share their food, each of them has an own hide for molting or/and breeding.

A second group consists (I think) of four balfouri, adults. They were outside, it was a great look.

My slings molted all at the same time. I can imagine, that it is more conform for this tiny tiny things, but that's the reason why I feed pre-killed crickets. The second reason is, that the even the micro-crickets are more bigger than the one of the slings. When the slings are bigger, they have to hunt their food. Nothing in live is for free :D .

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Haven't uploaded anything here in a while.

There has been a couple of moults recently. I now have another penultimate male to make up for the previous loss.

Here is a snap from tonight

IMG_6674.JPG

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Man, I am so jealous of that setup... it looks awesome! I have always said I wasn’t going to mess with OW T’s, but a balfouri commune might be what makes me change my mind. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, I am so jealous of that setup... it looks awesome! I have always said I wasn’t going to mess with OW T’s, but a balfouri commune might be what makes me change my mind. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'm in the exact same boat. These guys really test my "No OW's ever" rule.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I'm in the exact same boat. These guys really test my "No OW's ever" rule.
Haha, I know right? And it even makes less sense that the one thing that would make us both violate our no-OW-rule is a tank full of 5-10 OW’s LOL...

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
Since I now have an established roach colony going and a never ending supply of food on hand. I look forward to starting one of these communes someday!