Monocentropus balfouri vs Harpactira pulchripes

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Which is newer to the hobby?
Which is harder to find (rarer)?
Any other variable (eg: difficulty in keeping or breeding) that might contribute to their availability and pricing in the hobby?

I wanted to at least get an H. pulchripes sling. I inquired with a guy selling and it's triple the price of an M. balfouri sling. lol maybe next time.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It seems they are still not as we'll established in the US but here in UK H. pulchripes are pretty available.

H. pulchripes was more recently discovered. The fact that it is native to South Africa makes it rarer in the hobby as it is illegal to export any animal native to SA. Making WC specimens illegal. The first breeding groups were smuggled out.

I dont see prices for H. pulchripes dropping any more than the ly have done already (UK). I expect it to go the same route as P. metallica.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Which is newer to the hobby?
Which is harder to find (rarer)?
Any other variable (eg: difficulty in keeping or breeding) that might contribute to their availability and pricing in the hobby?

I wanted to at least get an H. pulchripes sling. I inquired with a guy selling and it's triple the price of an M. balfouri sling. lol maybe next time.
I got an H pulchripes sling fairly cheap - here in the US. M balfouri are still rather expensive.

Edit: No, what I have is a G pulchripes. sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
It seems they are still not as we'll established in the US but here in UK H. pulchripes are pretty available.

H. pulchripes was more recently discovered. The fact that it is native to South Africa makes it rarer in the hobby as it is illegal to export any animal native to SA. Making WC specimens illegal. The first breeding groups were smuggled out.

I dont see prices for H. pulchripes dropping any more than the ly have done already (UK). I expect it to go the same route as P. metallica.
Interesting. Thanks for the information.

@user 666 I guess it's based on the breeders where one lives.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The M. balfouri are more readily available and usually less expensive in the US. That said, slings still command a decent price, with many going $60+. That's about what I paid for my first four years ago, so it doesn't seem to be dropping much lower. They're blue and "popular", so dealers can get more for them.

The H. pulchripes is popping up more, but they are less readily available and generally command $100 per sling or more. They've dropped quite a bit in price since they were introduced.

That said, I've seen folks selling slings of both species at $50 or under. Keep an eye on the classifieds for some great deals on them.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I guess it's based on the breeders where one lives.
Well not really. Most breeders will ship cross country so their location isn't as big a factor. It mainly depends on they stock that is available at the time you are looking. I bought 3 H.pulchripes for around 75 (if I remember right) and 5 M.balfouri for around 40.

I found the M.balfouri on a clean out sale where they lady was cleaning out the slings in her communals and ran a cheap price for them. The H.pulchripes prices have dropped a lot since I bought mine a few years back.

I watch the classifieds and the FB sale posts. You can find good deals depending on the timing.