Monocentropus balfouri or Idiothele mira?

Storm1028

Arachnosquire
Hello, may I get some advice from you guys please? My parents are only allowing me to have one tarantula and I currently have a 1" M. Balfouri. Although I am only allowed to have one T, I am also allowed to trade. I have been going back and forth from M. Balfouri to Idiothele mira. May I please get the pros and cons on both species pls so I can determine which is most suitable. Thank you!

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
I've never kept an I. mira but I absolutely adore my balfouri and wouldn't trade it for anything. Gorgeous, webs a ton, isn't super skittish, and isn't very defensive. Only one so far with no cons. Price isn't everything, especially in this hobby, but it's also something worth thinking about. M. balfouri is still one of the more expensive species, even though they've came down a lot.

Edit: After a bit of refreshing on I. mira info, I recalled that they make trapdoors? That's cool af for a T and something that could be a deciding factor, if that's really what oyu're into. I still love my balfouri more though..

Storm1028

Arachnosquire
I've never kept an I. mira but I absolutely adore my balfouri and wouldn't trade it for anything. Gorgeous, webs a ton, isn't super skittish, and isn't very defensive. Only one so far with no cons. Price isn't everything, especially in this hobby, but it's also something worth thinking about. M. balfouri is still one of the more expensive species, even though they've came down a lot.
They seem to be very common now and it seems like every one has it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hard for me because I don't particularly like too much both (I don't want to undermine those, uh... don't get me wrong, just that IMO among 'Baboons' there's better).

Depends. I.mira sort of 'trapdoor' is cool, so their night time 'camouflage' with the dirt.

M.balfouri
, on the other hand, especially 0.1 are priced in the U.S if I'm not wrong. A thing to consider, however. Web fanatics :-s

Both easy to care. They aren't a bite in your face like 'OBT'... considering that in Italy M.balfouri are quite cheap, considering my love for pet holes, I would take I.mira.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I personally would keep the M.balfouri if you can only have one. You'll see it more often than you will the I.mira. I have both and they are both great Ts. However, the I.mira will leave you looking at a tank full of dirt most of the time.

cold blood

Staff member
Unless one has a decent collection, they should not even consider I. mira. With a larger collection a t you see briefly a few times a year is ok, if you only have a few, you want to see them...more than a combined 90 seconds a year....that's about how much per year I see mine....I saw it a lot more when it was small...but now...lmfao, I may as well just have a KK filled with dirt.

If you have a large collection though, I. mira is a must have.

You could always just fill a jar with dirt and tell people you have an I. mira...lol, no one will ever be the wiser.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I have both, and I LOVE both.... But between the two I'd probably opt to keep the M. balfouri since imo it's a slightly more attractive spider that you're far more likely to see. I say this as someone whos I. mira doesn't have a trapdoor burrow (silly bugger chose to make some webbing and pile dirt on it, instead of digging into the ample substrate I've offered him). I. mira are also a smaller species, if that at all affects your decision.

Hope you figure it out! Tough decision to make.

IMO among 'Baboons' there's better
I suppose there's a reason it's nicknamed a 'King' Baboon ;)

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Both are awesome and hard to decide which to choose but my recomended choice for you would be M. balfouri because...
1. you already have one so why go out of your way to get rid of it and possibly regret later.
2. like already said you wont see much of your I. mira

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I own both species.

Hands down I find I. mira far more fascinating than my balfouri. Mira IME, is also a better eater. Balfouri are moderate eaters, they don't pack on the mass that much, but mira do. The advantage there is IF/WHEN you see it, you'll know it's well fed.

Bottom line, mira is the only terrestrial trap door tarantula known to science, and it has some blue. You can't beat that IMO.

Below is a pic of my mira, Blue Suede Shoes, a young, suspect female.

Storm1028

Arachnosquire
Still deciding lol. I'm more on the balfouri side atm. It really sucks being restricted to 1 tarantula only. But hey, at least it's better than none!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Still deciding lol. I'm more on the balfouri side atm. It really sucks being restricted to 1 tarantula only. But hey, at least it's better than none!

How did you convince your parents to let you own an OW species in their home? Are they into exotic animals themselves :D, or did you leave out the part about OWs having stronger venom :shifty:?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, they hadn't found all the cooler baboons yet. :troll:
I have to agree since C.stridulantissimum, aka the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) twin 'brother' is still M.I.A :-/

But I do know, oh I do know that, in a deep burrow of an African war-zone, where someone can buy his/her own death with a bullet in the head instead of machete chop for $1, lies within the "well" of time Him.

Praise the Goddess!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I suppose there's a reason it's nicknamed a 'King' Baboon ;)
Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) :bookworm:

And, to use only in an official context (birthday, date of purchase, the arrive of new Goddess and potentially Goddess etc):

"Ruler of Theraphosidae, Her Excellency, Field Baboon Hissing Supreme Matriarchy Leader, VC, DSO, MC, Goddess of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, Lady of ALL Africa red earth land with Uganda and Kenya dry savannah in particular."

Storm1028

Arachnosquire
How did you convince your parents to let you own an OW species in their home? Are they into exotic animals themselves :D, or did you leave out the part about OWs having stronger venom :shifty:?
It took awhile to convince them. Before the balfouri, I had a G. pulchra. I showed my parents I'm responsible and also, I'm a big research guy myself. I love doing research on spiders, amphibians, etc. and so they saw my passion and allowed me to trade to pulchra for a balfouri.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Why not keep the M. balfouri for now, and just get the I. mira later, when youre not restricted to 1 T? :)