Monocentropus balfouri double clutch?

son31

Arachnopeon
I bred my M.balfouri late last year, and got a sack around December. They hatched out on 1/29/17. I'm going to leave them with the mom till they start hunting on their own, but today(2/12/17) I noticed the mom made another egg sack. Now she is guarding the sack. What are the chances of this being a bad egg sack? My main concern though are the slings she currently has, will she stop feeding them or will she try to eat them? What do you guys think?

This was my first breading project so I'm not too familiar with how they're going to behave, especially when they get double sacks.
16736056_10202583936196599_477133412_n.jpg 16730965_10202583936236600_1505419739_n.jpg 16736056_10202583936196599_477133412_n.jpg 16736177_10202583936396604_1063581147_n.jpg 16736648_10202583936356603_216522863_n.jpg

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
People who keep communals with these guys often have multiple females at various stages in their reproductive cycles. You'll probably have to feed the slings yourself, but I doubt the mom will kill them.

son31

Arachnopeon
People who keep communals with these guys often have multiple females at various stages in their reproductive cycles. You'll probably have to feed the slings yourself, but I doubt the mom will kill them.
Thanks for the input. Just dropped a cricket right beside the mom, and she immediately got it. So right now I'm just gonna assume that as long as I drop a feeder close to her, she will take it and feed her slings.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the input. Just dropped a cricket right beside the mom, and she immediately got it. So right now I'm just gonna assume that as long as I drop a feeder close to her, she will take it and feed her slings.
Breeding is something new to me so this is a legit question.......

I was always told that T's dont have the same maternal instinct as other animals and the mothers wont care for them at all after hatching.

That said:
1) what makes u think the mom will feed them?
2) dont they just "eat" froms the yoke till they moult out of the ewl stage and then go their own way and feed on their own from then on?

cold blood

Staff member
Just because mom will feed them, doesn't mean they need her to in order to survive. Just like any tarantula, they are born able to hunt and survive on their own.

Many people separate them at 2i, they still hunt on their own and survive.

son31

Arachnopeon
Breeding is something new to me so this is a legit question.......

I was always told that T's dont have the same maternal instinct as other animals and the mothers wont care for them at all after hatching.

That said:
1) what makes u think the mom will feed them?
2) dont they just "eat" froms the yoke till they moult out of the ewl stage and then go their own way and feed on their own from then on?
1) From what I've read about m.balfouris the mom would kill the prey for the slings or the slings will climb up the mom and eat while the mom is munching on the prey.
2) At the start I believe they do, but the slings I have now are about 2i-3i

Last edited:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
@son31, I have had my female balfouri double clutch and IME the female will feed and protect the slings. I offer large food items like medium to large pre killed Dubia close to the hid opening. She will eat and they will eat with her and then she will give them the rest. When the second sac hatched there were no problems between the older slings and the newly hatched. The female will protect them all quite defensively so keep disturbance to a minimum just feed and water. Feel free to pm me for info I've been working with balfouri for quite some time and have seen amazing parenting and communal life with this species.

Last edited:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
1) From what I've read about m.balfouris the mom would kill the prey for the slings or the slings will climb up the mom and eat while the mom is munching on the prey.
2) At the start I believe they do, but the slings I have now is about 2i-3i
Very cool then

son31

Arachnopeon
@son31, I have had my female balfouri double clutch and IME the female will feed and protect the slings. I offer large food items like medium to large pre killed Dubia close to the hid opening. She will eat and they will eat with her and then she will give them the rest. When the second sac hatched there were no problems between the older slings and the newly hatched. The female will protect them all quite defensively so keep disturbance to a minimum just feed and water. Feel free to pm me for info I've been working with balfouri for quite some time and have seen amazing parenting and communal life with this species.
Thank you! I'll definitely message you if i have anymore questions regarding this subject! :)

mike054

Arachnopeon
my balfouri breeding made a double clutch. the previous slings will not bother the newly made egg sac, right?