Monocentropus Balfouri communal?

Unaracnidphobia

Arachnopeon
Hi, I am planning on getting three 1/2 inch Monocentropus Balfouri slings and start my first communal set up. I have two enclosures, one is 4.5 inch * 4.5 inch, while the other one is 2 inch * 2.5 inch, which one should I use. I know for most communal species you need to gave them a really small enclosure so they will be forced to stay together, but I heard those M Balfouri actually like to stay together so even if I offer a bigger enclosure it won't matter that much. Any good suggestions? Thank you.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For how long have you had experience of tarantulas. If you are new to it i dont recommend a communal. I dont even know if this speicies is the best suited? I have had a communal of H villosella, but i had many years experience with tarantulas prior to that. I dont agree on small enclosures for communals. If a speicies really are communal, which i dunno if yours are, they should be given larger enclosures, compared to if the tarantulas are kept individually. They must be allowed to set upp burrows! And cos there are more spiders,the burrowsystem increases. When i kept H villosella which are dwarf speicies i used a tank that was 25×25×25cm. That is much larger tank than i would use for a single specimen They should not be forced to stay together! If i would have been you, ill keep M balfouri induvidually. But if you already have made up your mind. Good luck!

Last edited:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Hi, I am planning on getting three 1/2 inch Monocentropus Balfouri slings and start my first communal set up. I have two enclosures, one is 4.5 inch * 4.5 inch, while the other one is 2 inch * 2.5 inch, which one should I use. I know for most communal species you need to gave them a really small enclosure so they will be forced to stay together, but I heard those M Balfouri actually like to stay together so even if I offer a bigger enclosure it won't matter that much. Any good suggestions? Thank you.
M Balfouri communal are about the only one that you see working out, but these are still old world Tarantulas and not for beginners even just 1 never mind 3 in the same enclosure I think you have to put some research into the T hobby and start with new world Ts to build up confidence doing rehouse and such before thinking of moving to old world and a communal setup. I see you're only 13 too I think this is a conversation you should be having with you're parents as there is a lot to think about before purchasing any pet

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check-out TomsBigSpiders M. balfouri communal vids on his website.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just because Tom Miran has a communal does not mean it is ideal, especially not for beginners.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just because Tom Miran has a communal does not mean it is ideal, especially not for beginners.
I did not say it was ideal or for beginners. Just directing towards helpful information. Hopefully he/she will review the husbandry vids on Baboon species and will come to a correct decision for experience level.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I did not say it was ideal or for beginners. Just directing towards helpful information. Hopefully he/she will review the husbandry vids on Baboon species and will come to a correct decision for experience level.
The OP is 13 this decision can’t be left to them especially with anything potentially dangerous and it’s totally different watching someone experienced online and doing it yourself especially if you have no previous experience with any species

Unaracnidphobia

Arachnopeon
M Balfouri communal are about the only one that you see working out, but these are still old world Tarantulas and not for beginners even just 1 never mind 3 in the same enclosure I think you have to put some research into the T hobby and start with new world Ts to build up confidence doing rehouse and such before thinking of moving to old world and a communal setup. I see you're only 13 too I think this is a conversation you should be having with you're parents as there is a lot to think about before purchasing any pet
Naw I had some experience with OW T already I got a P Subfusca and a O(L) Violaceopes and they are no problem for be to deal with:D

Unaracnidphobia

Arachnopeon
Come on guys I know I'm 13 but I already had some experience with OW T(Poecilotheria Subfusca 1 inch sling and a Lampropelma Violaceopes 6 inch female), I have no trouble rehousing and feeding and what ever so just kind of gave me some tips on how to feed or stop them from eating each other up;)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is he 13??? Then i REALLY advise him not to keep a communal of this speicies. If one is 13 years old i suggest keeping some beginner tarantulas BEFORE attempting something like this. I cant see that OP has the experience that are required fir keeping old world tarantulas

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Naw I had some experience with OW T already I got a P Subfusca and a O(L) Violaceopes and they are no problem for be to deal with:D
As far as communal living goes it’s only M Balfouri in my opinion that is in fact communal all others is just a case of them tolerating each other. But still at 13 I can’t se you having enough experience for this sorry but I have to advise against it but the decision is up to you and you’re parents

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heterothele villosella is comunal i may add! But i havnt seen any avidence that M balfouri is?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Heterothele villosella is comunal i may add! But i havnt seen any avidence that M balfouri is?
I’ve never seen or heard of Heterothele Villosella being communal, although Tom from Tom’s big spiders, Mark from Marks tarantulas and Petko from the dark den all have succuefull and still have M Balfouri communals and all others they have attempted has ended in disaster and having to split them up. Anyway I wouldn’t keep a communal anyway spiders are solitary creatures, I do see the attraction to it though

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Come on guys I know I'm 13 but I already had some experience with OW T(Poecilotheria Subfusca 1 inch sling and a Lampropelma Violaceopes 6 inch female), I have no trouble rehousing and feeding and what ever so just kind of gave me some tips on how to feed or stop them from eating each other up;)
Age isn't a problem, besides a young mindset. My question is how long have you had your OW T.'s?? I want to hear a time frame as well before I can conclude you with what I really think.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is he 13??? Then i REALLY advise him not to keep a communal of this speicies. If one is 13 years old i suggest keeping some beginner tarantulas BEFORE attempting something like this. I cant see that OP has the experience that are required fir keeping old world tarantulas
Did not realize he was only 13yrs. I totally agree with you. Whatever happened to building and flying balsa airplanes?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Age isn't a problem, besides a young mindset. My question is how long have you had your OW T.'s?? I want to hear a time frame as well before I can conclude you with what I really think.
It is because it shows that he lacks experience. If he started with tarantulas at the age of 8, he wiuld have had 5 years of xp, but i dont think he did?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It is because it shows that he lacks experience. If he started with tarantulas at the age of 8, he wiuld have had 5 years of xp, but i dont think he did?
That's why I'm asking about his time with his collection.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Age is not the problem here; it is the level of maturity that one has. The young keepers are going to be the ones making the new discoveries in the future, and if we stop them now, what does that say about the hobby? I agree, this is a deal to be talked over with the parents, but we are not his/her's parents. Our job is to make sure that someone gets the right info and advice, not shunning someone because they are young.

The advice I give (to an extent) now is if you are comfortable and confident in your abilities keeping something, go for it. Do not let anyone look down upon you because of your youth, but set an example for others in your ability, respect, caution, and self-control.

A word of caution to @Unaracnidphobia however; if you feel like their may be a risk to you or your family in keeping these tarantulas that you can't adequately prepare for, do not get these. Communals are a whole other ball game, and you must be prepared in advance to deal with multiple fast, potent, and defensive spiders trying to escape.

I realize I may get some flak for this, but if he/she already has two Old Worlds and feels confident in doing this, then I don't think it's our job to stand in the way unless there is a clear sense that someone will get hurt if we don't step in.

That's my two cents.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fir me the age is not the point. If a 40 year old oerson kept tarantulas for a month and wanted to add old world, i would have said the same thing as if a 13 year old person who had kept tarantulas for a month and wanted to add old worlds. BUT with age comes matureness! A 13 year old person is not as mature as a 40 year old person, and in most cases, (not all) the older person is a better keeper. Young people more often take more stupid risks i assume?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Vanisher, again, I agree. But everyone matures at different rates, and we cannot assume that every 13 year old is immature, just like we cannot assume that every 20 or even 40 year old is mature. I would not recommend either a 40 or a 13 year old get Old Worlds after only being a month into the hobby unless certain criteria are met.

In this hobby I see people of every age range making dumb mistakes. And considering that Unaracnidphobia already has been keeping two Old Worlds without problems, I think that is a testament in itself to his/her maturity.
However, it is entirely possible that this is a bad idea and that someone will get hurt because of it. But without knowing Unaracnidphobia in person, we can't draw any accurate conclusions. We are here to give help with the care of the tarantulas, not decide what is best for someone without even knowing them. See what I'm saying?

Thanks,

Arthroverts