Molting

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire
IMG_6316.JPG Hey it's me the new guy again.
So when I bought my Chaco the guy I bought it from sad it was entering a molt. The guy said it was okay to feed it but I know better than to feed a pre-molt t. And yet I still tried to feed it but to no avail I had no luck. I just wanna confirm if it really is entering molt. I noticed that it's rather inactive. It moves around every few hours and stays that way until it moves again. And how long will it last without food? It's juvenile and the last time it ate was a week ago. And after it molts how till I can feed her again? Here's a pic.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
It can go literally months without food without any problem. After it does molt I suggest waiting about three weeks until feeding it again. This will give its fangs time to harden fully. After it molts you will notice its fangswill be pearl white, then red, and finally black. DO NOT FEED UNLESS THE FAMGS ARE BLACK. If you dont there is a chance one or both of the fangs will break.

I hope this helps :)

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire
It can go literally months without food without any problem. After it does molt I suggest waiting about three weeks until feeding it again. This will give its fangs time to harden fully. After it molts you will notice its fangswill be pearl white, then red, and finally black. DO NOT FEED UNLESS THE FAMGS ARE BLACK. If you dont there is a chance one or both of the fangs will break.

I hope this helps :)
Thnx for answering the feeding question but can you tell if my t is entering a molt from my description and pic given? Thnx in advance

Devin B

Arachnobaron
To me It does look and sound like premolt behavior but it can be hard to tell sometime. In my experience a premolt tarantula will show the following symptoms: very lathargic, loss of appetite, created a "web mat", and dark abdomen.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I just noticed a dark patch on the abdomen, is this a sure sign of molting?​
This usually means a molt is close. Im thinking it will molt in a few days. This dark patch you see is the new exoskeleton underneath the current one.

Now when it does molt you will find it on its back. Its not dead it will be molting. The single most important thing you can do at thay point is to leave it alone. Like seriously dont mess with it at all. The second thing to remember is to leave it alone.

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire
This usually means a molt is close. Im thinking it will molt in a few days. This dark patch you see is the new exoskeleton underneath the current one.

Now when it does molt you will find it on its back. Its not dead it will be molting. The single most important thing you can do at thay point is to leave it alone. Like seriously dont mess with it at all. The second thing to remember is to leave it alone.
Thanks a lot dude.
But I was gonna rehouse it this evening to its permanent enclosure. Should I hold it off until after it molts?

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Yes hold off. If you rehouse it itll get stressed out and thats the last thing it needs so close to a molt. After it molts I would suggest waiting a week or so before rehousing it. That way it will have timefor its new exoskeleton to harden.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, its certainly fat enough that it doesnt need food and will eventually molt. A simple re house wont be an issue...pre molt is my favorite time to re house as molting means laying hairs and web...both of which help a t acclimate quicker. With faster ts it also reduces the bolt factor...not an issue with a GP though obviously.

If the skin looks stretched out and shiny, it means a molt is emminent...in this case i would not re house.

Its molt could be a few days off or it could be 6 months off...theres no way for you to know for sure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The guy said it was okay to feed it but I know better than to feed a pre-molt t. And yet I still tried to feed it but to no avail I had no luck.
What a statement of contradiction, "know better", but fed anyway hahahah There's no harm in feeding a T in pre-molt IME. If they are hungry they will eat, if not, they won't. I've had a variety of OW and NW Ts eat the day before and the day they molted.

And how long will it last without food?
Depends on how fat it is. I had a 4" B. albo go 18 months w/out food, but not w/out water.

And after it molts how till I can feed her again?
Feed when fangs are black