Molting?

ISBW

Arachnopeon
I'm new at this. My Chilean rose is just getting used to her home (bought her recently). I noticed, and forgive my ignorance of proper names, that the little black spot continues to get bigger and bigger and is now almost completely the size of her abdomen. Is she starting to molt and just hasn't found a "safe" place to do it? She has a half log and another enclosure but has not gone in them. Twice today she walked completely around her home (10 gallon). Humidity and temperature have been perfect. She has eaten one cricket and does not appear hungry and is very, very fat. Thanks.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, some questions...
Substrate?
Depth?
Humidity and temp?

When you say the "little black spot" are you referring to the shell underneath the hairs darkening?

When was the last time it ate?

Also, just to get this question out of the way, is it a mature male? (Are there hooks under the first set of legs? (not the pedipalps).

ISBW

Arachnopeon
I have about 6 inches of compressed coconut fiber substrate. Humidity and temperature is about 70 degrees, with humidity a little higher. Her abdomen is darkening but the area where the spinerettes is enlarging. They sure are big. Does that mean anything? Gee, I wish I could draw a picture. It is like her abdomen is slowly unpeeling from the back end forward but there is not any skin hanging down. Imagine sitting on a hot sidewalk. That is what the behind looks like, only black, and growing.

She is big, about 4" in just body length. No, hooks. She ate a big cricket yesterday and two crickets the day before that. I have not seen her do anything with the water except walk through it. :confused: