Molting wrong side up

Laurie Gentry

Arachnopeon
IMG_9114.JPG She might be molting... or she might be dead
The past week she's looked overly hairy, and the past few days I keep finding her asleep on the rock in the center of her water dish.
For 2 days she's been in the corner near that dish. No movement and not upside down. No response to light touch ... advice anyone?
I've moved everything away from her to take pics.

cold blood

Staff member
She might be molting... or she might be dead
Well...a living t, even a molting one, will respond to stimuli...dead animals dont...determining if its dead shouldnt be all that difficult.

The past week she's looked overly hairy
Well, that doesnt even make sense....ts dont grow hair or get hairier....aside from kicled off hairs being replaced with a molt.
the past few days I keep finding her asleep on the rock in the center of her water dish.
Well, ts dont sleep, not in the conventional fashion we do.

Gently flip it on its back....if its alive and in peril, water can be administered easily this way.

Laurie Gentry

Arachnopeon
By "overly hairy" I mean her hairs seemed more prominent, like drier...?
I know they don't sleep like us, she'd be on that rock constantly unless touched.
Now she doesn't move when touched. I'm afraid to turn her over if she's trying to molt

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
By "overly hairy" I mean her hairs seemed more prominent, like drier...?
I know they don't sleep like us, she'd be on that rock constantly unless touched.
Now she doesn't move when touched. I'm afraid to turn her over if she's trying to molt
If it non responsive at all there may be something else up if it was only trying to moult it would still move when touched, flip it over and try dripping water on the mouth parts and see if you can get a reaction

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Well, that doesnt even make sense....ts dont grow hair or get hairier....aside from kicled off hairs being replaced with a molt.
abdomen shrinkage could give the affect of extra hairiness. the hairs won't change in length but the volume of the abdomen decreases.
@Laurie Gentry
sounds pretty dead to me. molting for two days? dead. try harassing the T and if nothing then it's seriously dead. even a T that are savable will give small movement.

Laurie Gentry

Arachnopeon
I turned her over as slowly and carefully as I could. Tried water to her mouth. There's no movement at all.
I'm leaving her alone for now. Will bury tomorrow.