Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Molting wrong side up

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Laurie Gentry, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Laurie Gentry

Laurie Gentry Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    IMG_9114.JPG She might be molting... or she might be dead
    The past week she's looked overly hairy, and the past few days I keep finding her asleep on the rock in the center of her water dish.
    For 2 days she's been in the corner near that dish. No movement and not upside down. No response to light touch ... advice anyone?
    I've moved everything away from her to take pics.

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Well...a living t, even a molting one, will respond to stimuli...dead animals dont...determining if its dead shouldnt be all that difficult.

Well, that doesnt even make sense....ts dont grow hair or get hairier....aside from kicled off hairs being replaced with a molt.
    Well, ts dont sleep, not in the conventional fashion we do.

Gently flip it on its back....if its alive and in peril, water can be administered easily this way.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Laurie Gentry

By "overly hairy" I mean her hairs seemed more prominent, like drier...?
    I know they don't sleep like us, she'd be on that rock constantly unless touched.
    Now she doesn't move when touched. I'm afraid to turn her over if she's trying to molt

4. Andrew Clayton

Andrew Clayton Arachnobaron Active Member

If it non responsive at all there may be something else up if it was only trying to moult it would still move when touched, flip it over and try dripping water on the mouth parts and see if you can get a reaction

5. Laurie Gentry

Nothing

• Sad Sad x 3
  6. Andrew Clayton

Andrew Clayton Arachnobaron Active Member

I think it may be dead not much you can do it could have had a problem trying to moult and died

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Laurie Gentry

Oh no!

8. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnoangel Active Member

abdomen shrinkage could give the affect of extra hairiness. the hairs won't change in length but the volume of the abdomen decreases.
    @Laurie Gentry
    sounds pretty dead to me. molting for two days? dead. try harassing the T and if nothing then it's seriously dead. even a T that are savable will give small movement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ThorsCarapace22

ThorsCarapace22 Arachnosquire

My first ever T molted upright. Very strange to me. I hope we get an update.

10. Laurie Gentry

I turned her over as slowly and carefully as I could. Tried water to her mouth. There's no movement at all.
    I'm leaving her alone for now. Will bury tomorrow.

• Sad Sad x 5
  11. ThorsCarapace22

ThorsCarapace22 Arachnosquire

I also had a E. Murinus molt upright and it didn't make it. : ( I need another one.

12. Vulksgren

Vulksgren Arachnopeon

Sorry for your loss, I'd be super upset if I where in your shoes, but things happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.