Molting Trouble

Trinitys7

Arachnopeon
We have a 19 year old Goliath and she has been in the process of molting for over a week (upside down) and looked as though her abdomen was stuck. We have left her alone until the last 2 days, due to her looking very dehydrated and not alive (we haven't touched her, but we've given her droplets of water, which shes drank. This morning I was going to give her a drop of water (as directed by a few reliable resources) and she was very obviously trying to flip back over, but the exoskeleton was keeping her from doing so. I curled the obstructing part under and she instantly flipped, but the exoskeleton tore and a piece was still attached to her abdomen. She looks exhausted, but alive. Should I give her a break for the day so she can rest and then maybe try to remove the piece from her tomorrow?? Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would wait a few days for her to harden - maybe a week, because of her size - and then see if you can moisten the remaining exoskeleton with a wet Q-tip... you may be able to gently schluff it off. How large of a piece is it?

CakeLore

Arachnosquire
If it's only a small piece and she seems to be getting around okay with it still attached, it may even be advisable to just leave it on. It'd be pretty easy to do more harm than good trying to get it off.

cold blood

Staff member
I would leave it be if its not covering booklungs.
Agreed...but if it needs to be removed, it should be done promptly...wait too long and it will harden and removal will then be nearly impossible.