Molting Space (?)

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Not sure if this has been asked as I didn't really find anything that pertains to this.

Will a T always molt in an area that is big enough to spread out for the process? I ask as I see that my hide that I have provided for my N. chromatus, is looking a little small. She still uses it and I think really appreciates it. Unfortunately, it's starting to look a little small and I really don't think that she could turn around inside anymore. The current hide is a hollow corkbark branch that I cut the bottom 1/3 off, length wise, so that she could burrow within it also if desired.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Tarantulas can molt even in the smallest spaces, which is quite surprising. I've seen some of my own T.'s molt in their narrow burrows just fine so I wouldn't be too worried.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Not a great pic but here it is. I think the measurements are 9x5x5. The N. chromatus is a good 2.5" dls. It just recently, today, created the web "awning" between the substrate and the overhanging leaves. The T pic is before I removed some of the moss and she also did some arranging herself 20201001_160432.jpg 20201009_164006.jpg

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the replies guys. I also am thinking premolt is coming soon as her eating is getting a little sketchy. Her booty is fat and darkening up and she seems to spend a lot of time in her hide.

MaddiesMom

Arachnopeon
Not sure if this has been asked as I didn't really find anything that pertains to this.

Will a T always molt in an area that is big enough to spread out for the process? I ask as I see that my hide that I have provided for my N. chromatus, is looking a little small. She still uses it and I think really appreciates it. Unfortunately, it's starting to look a little small and I really don't think that she could turn around inside anymore. The current hide is a hollow corkbark branch that I cut the bottom 1/3 off, length wise, so that she could burrow within it also if desired.
I have a 4" N chromatus and her hide is now on the smaller side and the last time she molted she webbed a pad of silk outside her hide and molted out in the open. Your T will do that same thing I would imagine if the hide is too small.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
I'd like to think she's going to do something soon. She's been excavating for a week straight. Most of the substrate is now at one end and I've refilled the water cup at least 3x since Monday.... 20201017_135637.jpg 20201017_134628.jpg what an ass...lol