molting question

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Ppl

My T.blondi is on his back assuming he is molting. I don't know how long he has been on his back but he is completely unresponsive. Every T I have had that I have seen on it's back showed some response. Could my T.blondi be dead?

Bye!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope not dead. As a rule of thumb keep this in mind....... Ts do not die on their backs. (unless from a molt complication)

How big is your T? When they are bigger the length of time where they lay there not moving one single hair increases till its time to pop her carapace and then the moving begins.

Last edited:

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope not dead. As a rule of thumb keep this in mind....... Ts do not die on their backs. (unless from a molt complication)

How big is your T? When they are bigger the length of time where they lay there not moving one single hair increases till its time to pop her carapace and then the moving begins.
He's 7+ inches. I was thinking maybe it is a molt complication but I think he is still in the early stages of molting.

Bye!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya at 7 inches go pop some popcorn, hes going to be there a long time. My sub adult male blondi a few years back had his maturing molt at like 7.5-8" and that molt took almost 35 hours.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
jesus 35 hours!!!! blimey! lol

Good luck with the blondi.. i'm sure he'll be fine :)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
It worries me a bit that you say that this T as well as your others have been responsive/unresponsive. You should never during a moult try to get a response from them. Just let them do their thing, in peace. You should be much more worried about disturbing them than about them not responding to your disturbance!

There is nothing you can do but wait. Only very very few people, have on the few occasions that something went wrong during a moult, been successful in aiding their T via any measures, including surgery. Just leave it alone and take your time to observe. ;)

But ofcourse I hope as much as you do that it will be fine. :)

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi ppl

K, the blondi appears to have molted just fine. Except a patch of his abdomen where before he molted had no hair because he flicked it at me. It looks weird? Like a scab on a human after bleeding except not blood, more like dirt. Dirt and something wet that's stuck to him. I think he'll survive. Doesn't look life threating. When would it be good to start feeding him again?

Bye

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Congrats on the moult! :clap:

I've seen it quite often that people have reported blondis with scabs. In most (if not all :? ) cases those didn't pose a problem though and the scabs got moulted away later.

If it's fully grown I'd wait a month. Just make sure it has easy access to water. If you wanna test if it would eat you could after a 2 week waiting period squirt water next to it with a syringe. If it pounces it's pretty sure it will take food, but make nontheless sure you're not trying to feed too early. If the fangs still look red or lilac I'd wait longer.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So how long did that take start to finish just for reference for some people.

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So how long did that take start to finish just for reference for some people.
Don't know. Happened over night. Must have been several hours because he wasn't out of his molt this morning. But from the time I first seen him on his back to him out of his molt, over 20 hours. But he could have been lieing on his back for several hours before I seen him.