Molting problem

roxybites

Arachnopeon
I have had my Rosie "Daisy" for two years she has molted once without any problems. She is not a big eater maybe 1 cricket every month or so. She started to act funny about 7 days ago, in her rock for a couple of days then she started to get real skinny. She molted 5 days ago and has not finished yet. The old skin is still stuck to her back. Should I help her and try to take it off of her? I'm so worried about her.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had my Rosie "Daisy" for two years she has molted once without any problems. She is not a big eater maybe 1 cricket every month or so. She started to act funny about 7 days ago, in her rock for a couple of days then she started to get real skinny. She molted 5 days ago and has not finished yet. The old skin is still stuck to her back. Should I help her and try to take it off of her? I'm so worried about her.
Is it still alive? How much is stuck to it?

roxybites

Arachnopeon
Molting probs

Looks like just a little bit on its back where the abdoman and the head are.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you post pics?

What you can do is if it is still alive, wait about 5 more days to harden up and then you can wet a q-tip, and rub around the old molt so it can slip out. If not you might have to cut it off. I'm not an expert on this so you'll have to get some others input also.

roxybites

Arachnopeon
Thx Chris. I hope I don't have to cut it off. I don't know if I can do that. I have not handled her.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In order to get a better idea, you'll have to post pics. If it's still moving and functioning fine, and it's only a little bit of the old skin still attached, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you want to remove it, then you can try the q-tip method, but it doesn't sound like anything too serious to me.

roxybites

Arachnopeon
She, and I don't know if it is a she, is walking around and looks good otherwise. I will post a pic. when my daughter brings her camera over later today. Oh, she is a chilian rose. I think that is what there called.

roxybites

Arachnopeon
Sorry, I'm arachnoid idiot. I got her to put in my Preschool class. She's very gentle. But I left that place and now I have her at home.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Use a wet q-tip on the area that is stuck and see if you can gently loosen it off. If that doesn't work, you can just leave the stuck part alone but remove the rest of the old exo and wait it out until her next molt and she should molt out of it.

SDiego

Arachnosquire
Can you post a shot from above, not through the glass? Too blurry through the glass.

It does look like quite a bit is attached, and perhaps you can gently trim or break some of it away. Then gently use qtip method to brush the rest away.

roxybites

Arachnopeon
Molting probs

Should I do that now or wait a few days. Its only been about 5 days since she started molting.

SDiego

Arachnosquire
If it is an adult, if it were me I'd probably wait another couple days just to be safe. Good news is the spider has made it this far after the molt. Also make sure the tarantula has water in the case.

Looking at those blurry pictures, I'd probably try and gently break off a big piece. After breaking off a piece, and having a better view of the abdomen, I'd try the q-tip method.

You can try a q-tip with water. Or, even better in this situation, perhaps try a q-tip dipped in a little vegetable oil to help soften the dried up skin. That may also help it detach. Hopefully spider will be fine. Just go gently and slow.

No matter what, don't try to rip it off -- you could injure the tarantula and its new skin. So be sure to try gentle brushing with water or vegetable oil.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh wow. I didn't know you meant all of the molt was still attached. I would wait a couple days and break pieces of it off and then use the q-tip method to get the rest off. And she isn't still molting, she's just got the skin stuck. :rolleyes:

Good luck

roxybites

Arachnopeon
molting probs

She was just crawling up the side of her cage so I got a good look. Looks like its hung up on her leg. at the joint where it attaches to her body. I think her leg is out but I couldn't be sure. I will wait for a few days.

How big a water dish should I have? Looking on the forums, I think it should be bigger. The one I have is only 3 inches by 3 inches.

SDiego

Arachnosquire
3 x 3 may be enough depending on the size of the spider. They drink by lowering their front into the dish, so getting something a little wide but flat is easiest for them. It's probably good enough for now. Just keep it filled with fresh water from the tap.

Anyway don't stress. If the molt is attached at the leg joint, there is the possibility she may detach the leg. First order of business is to break of most of the molt. Then report back to us with your findings, and try to post a good, clear picture of the problem area after that.

roxybites

Arachnopeon
omg thank the lord. She is gonna be ok

One of her back legs were stuck. But she is ok now. Well, i guess shes ok. She got unstuck and now I have a 7 legged baby. I feel soooo bad. I guess it could have been worse. I could have lost her. I will be a better parent to her now. I dont think she had enough water in her cage. I put a wet paper towel and wet down the pete moss a little. Thx so much for everything. You all rock.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I'm also a parent of a 7 legged baby and you really dont need the Paper towel in there, just treat her the same as you normally do (you've had her for 2 years right?) Sometimes they have molting issues, Nothing too severe. Just feed her good and she'll be happy :)

The leg should fully grow back with a good molt or two.

Whats your humidity like?