Molting problem

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I am curious how her care was as of late. Was there water available before her molt? Temps/ humidity during molt? How long did she stop accepting food before her molt? Just wondering if there is a logical reason she had a rough molt. For all i know its just another unexplainable bad molt. What has her diet reciently? Any changes in food sources? Be it different feeders or switched suppliers? Just seeing if there has been any sudden change as of late. :) -Doug

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Keeping a full clean water dish is always a must for the dry sub loving T such as a G. rosea. The only reason pet shops put sponges in the dish is too keep crickets alive in the cage. They dont like them to drown in the water. Puting a rock in the dish works to keep crickets from drowning. For the most part the food that goes into the cage should be removed very soon. Ts usually eat them within 20 mins if they are hungry.

roxybites

Arachnopeon
molting probs

Yes she has always had water in a dish although now I think it is not big enough. As for the temps and humidity I don't know. I live in Southern California and this summer was cool in the 70's. In the house as well as outside. She didn't eat for like 6 months except one cricket 3 weeks ago. She is not a big eater one cricket every 3 to 4 weeks. But in the last 2 months I did go to a different store for them. It takes her a hour or so to eat when she does eat so if its still there in an hour I always take them out.

I have a question, I heard, that I should keep the soil moist. Is that true?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I have a question, I heard, that I should keep the soil moist. Is that true?
Not for this spieces. Some tarantulas live in arid climates and others in swampy habitats. G. rosea like to walk on dry substrate. If its damp it signals a drastic climate change (rain) and they try to climb away from any damp areas. You could increase the humidity by having 3+ inches of substrate and injecting water into the bottom of the soil(not necesarry). Just making sure there is a large clean full water dish. These are hardy Ts so you shouldnt have to worry at all about humidity. The reason hydration is so important for Ts aproaching a molt is so they release fluid between the new and old exoskeloton. Its a key factor in a successful molt.

roxybites

Arachnopeon
molting probs

I hope I answered your questions Doug. Thx for you input. How deep should her water dish be or does it matter?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Make sure its deep enough that it doesnt evaporate. 1/4" is just fine. Then add non porous stones to keep and prey items from drowning.