Molting Problem - Hoping for Advice.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My adult female Scolopendra hainanum started molting yesterday morning - and stopped about half way. I don't know what went wrong - but she's still halfway through the molt today and appears to be stuck. Any suggestions as to how I can help her? She's got plenty to drink, and I added to the humidity (placed some damp sphagnum on top of her). But that hasn't helped yet.

olll

Arachnosquire
How far has the molt come off? You might be able to pull it off. If you can’t just leave it alone and add more humidity

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's about half way along the body. I can't tell how firmly attached it is. I added more water to the substrate yesterday, and the sphagnum I placed over her last night is wet. I had hoped that when I got up this morning I'd find her free of the molt - but that didn't happen.

olll

Arachnosquire
There is not much you can do, I recommend just leave it alone

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's what I have been doing. I don't want to add more stress than is already there. Unfortunately, this morning she's no further along.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Apparently the molting issue was a symptom or a coincidence, not the real problem. She died this morning, and when i picked her up the remaining molt came off fairly easily. Whatever killed her just happened to do so as she was molting. But I have no idea what it was that caused her death. She was an adult, and had been so for a while (she had a litter of babies last year), but I doubt she was old enough to die of old age. She had been feeding well, appeared otherwise healthy. Fortunately, I still have a number of her babies, and they have shown the hardiness that I think is typical of the species.

olll

Arachnosquire
sorry to hear that, don’t be sad, you did your best. They are small creatures after all, and sometimes can be unexpected