Molting problem (Chilean Rose)

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
If it had hooks, than it is a mature male. If you didn't care to look earlier and realize this there is a good chance that it was already a mature male, and this is one of those cases where a mature male tries to molt again. Most of the time they die while in the process because they get stuck in the molt. Very few have actually managed to make it out of a post mature molt and live another year or two. If it does, consider yourself lucky. If it dies, it was just it's time.

Anyways, good luck on the guy. Would be cool if he pulls through.

Also, if the petstore told you it was a female I can GARUNTEE you that they had no freakin clue as to what it really was. Considering they told you bark would be a good substrate and all!!! lol, dumb petstores don't have any clue as to what there talking about. Bet they'd tell someone a Cobalt Blue would need woodchips as well or T. Blondi's like a desert setup! They only told you it was female because they know people only want females. Have you ever heard of someone buying a T from a LPS and them telling the person it was male? I sure haven't.

Last edited:

uddz

Arachnopeon
ah ok.
I must admit, I have been a bit of a moron here. I have just Googled male chile with hooks and seen the hooks you speak of. My T does not have these hooks. Sorry for the confusion. I thought you meant th little claws they grip things with at the end of every leg. I was thinking that was pretty stupid, but it appears the stupidity was all mine.
Well She is still alive this morning but she still looks very flimsy I haven't moved her as I don't want to stress her out. I am hoping she is lying flat to firm up, as she is not even lifting herself.
I am still not very confident that she will make it. Fingers are crossed.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ah ok.
I must admit, I have been a bit of a moron here. I have just Googled male chile with hooks and seen the hooks you speak of. My T does not have these hooks. Sorry for the confusion. I thought you meant th little claws they grip things with at the end of every leg. I was thinking that was pretty stupid, but it appears the stupidity was all mine.
Well She is still alive this morning but she still looks very flimsy I haven't moved her as I don't want to stress her out. I am hoping she is lying flat to firm up, as she is not even lifting herself.
I am still not very confident that she will make it. Fingers are crossed.
It is the toes curling under the body that should cause worry. She has had quite an ordeal, so quiet and darkness are a good course of action. It is possible she is just stretching, but at this point if she isn't bleeding and you already have her in an ICU, try to just leave her be. Check before you go to bed, but not on an hourly basis unless you can do so without opening the enclosure.

Were you able to make sure her book lungs were clear? They are located on the underside of the abdomen.

uddz

Arachnopeon
Book lungs were clear, but she didn't make it. Very upset with this loss. I cant believe how stuck she got. Was a very very bad molt and to be honest I was not expecting too much but it is still a sad day.