Molting preferences of arboreals?

Leila

Arachnobaron
My A. avicularia juvie is obviously in premolt. So my question is not how to ascertain whether or not a tarantula is about to molt. :cat:

My question is this: do arboreal tarantulas tend to molt in their webbed hides above ground, or do they venture to the floor of the enclosure to shed their exoskeletons?

See, I am wondering if my A. avicularia will attempt to molt in her webbed cubby hole or not. :confused: That space is cramped. There just does not seem to be enough room inside her 'cocoon.' (that's kinda what it reminds me of.)

So. Where do arboreals tend to molt?

Here is a crappy photo of Yeva and her cubby. This was taken a couple weeks ago because I was delighted and shocked to see her out. The bundle of leaves with the webbing inside is where she stays...just so you guys have an idea about what I mentioned above. :) 20170517_021554-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
See, I am wondering if my A. avicularia will attempt to molt in her webbed cubby hole or not. :confused: That space is cramped. There just does not seem to be enough room inside her 'cocoon.' (that's kinda what it reminds me of.)

Neither of my two Avicularia avicularia ever molted on the ground. They either molted in their retreats, or they made a little silk hammock and molted on that.

There's not much you can do but trust that your tarantula knows where it can safely molt.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
My A. avicularia juvie is obviously in premolt. So my question is not how to ascertain whether or not a tarantula is about to molt. :cat:

My question is this: do arboreal tarantulas tend to molt in their webbed hides above ground, or do they venture to the floor of the enclosure to shed their exoskeletons?

Here is a crappy photo of Yeva and her cubby. This was taken a couple weeks ago because I was delighted and shocked to see her out. The bundle of leaves with the webbing inside is where she stays...just so you guys have an idea about what I mentioned above. :) View attachment 241713
Very cute.
My Avicularia avicularia MM always molted in his funnel tube. The only way I knew he molted was when he pushed the molt out of his web lol.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Yup..... My avics never molt on the ground. In fact, I never even see them touch the ground ever.

She'll probably build a hammock for herself. Or use her cocoon. You'd be surprised what they can do in that little space.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Your Avic Avic won't have any trouble moulting, they seem to know if they have enough space or not (how they can tell is a mystery) my P. Metallica has mostly moulted in her web, but the last moult she doubled (almost) in size, which was on the substrate so it was like it knew there was not enough space in its web, you'll have to trust that the Avic Avic knows what it's doing, which of course they do. Tarantulas (spiders) really know how to make us worry, they've been here a lot longer than we have, no need to worry @Leila

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron

Here is a crappy photo of Yeva and her cubby. This was taken a couple weeks ago because I was delighted and shocked to see her out. The bundle of leaves with the webbing inside is where she stays...just so you guys have an idea about what I mentioned above. :) View attachment 241713

Thanks for posting this Q, Ive been wondering this myself. Lots of helpful responses

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
They molt where they spend most of their time, up high. They don't come down to molt.
I don't trust spider instinct as much as I used to since my versi molted in a cramped spot and died.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It went well so far in cramped space over here, but i have read some threads where unfortunately, the spider didn't know best. Most of the time it goes well though. My Avic and Caribena molt up high, never on the floor. They both make molting hammocks with my metallica actually standing on the lid upside down and molts like a mantis, slowly lowering herself unto her webbing.

I know you're the worrying kind girl, but even if she decides to molt in a too tight spot, there is nothing you can do. You'd be amazed at the cramped spaces they can molt in ;).
Don't forget to dribble some water on the webbing after a day or two.

Leila

Arachnobaron
They molt where they spend most of their time, up high. They don't come down to molt.
I don't trust spider instinct as much as I used to since my versi molted in a cramped spot and died.
Yeah, I read that the other day. My condolences, Venom. :shy:
Your versicolor is part of the reason I am concerned about my A. avic's impending molt. :cyclops:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Mine squeezed out in his little hammock. It was interesting, i was worried about it when he stopped taking food because "should i move him? Destroy the web?" Luckily he eased my worries before i had the chance.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Both my avics molt up high in hammocks like everyone else mentioned, but my P. irminia and Poecs all molt either on the ground or in a burrow.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Yeah I don't know if I would go so far to say avics no best when it comes to molting this is a species that has been known to fall out of their hammocks when molting. That said your not gonna convince them to do other wise and the whole falling thing is pretty rare. My ggb molted yesterday in its tight tunnel web it looks rather silly in the tunnel now because its legs are a bit long for the tunnel its in.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, I read that the other day. My condolences, Venom. :shy:
Your versicolor is part of the reason I am concerned about my A. avic's impending molt. :cyclops:
Thanks, it was a fluke though, I wouldn't worry about your girl.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The only time I've seen an arboreal moult on the ground was when I got a Y. diversipes sling and it moulted the day after it arrived.
It died about 10 days after completing the moult unfortunately.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Both my avics molt up high in hammocks like everyone else mentioned, but my P. irminia and Poecs all molt either on the ground or in a burrow.
The same as my P. Metallica, but the last time was the only time it moulted at ground level, I don't know if it knew how big it was going to get, as it almost doubled its size, so there wouldn't have been enough space, I'm not sure if they make a conscious decision.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Sorry to hear about your C. Versicolour, moulting time for avics especially is a precarious time for them, hope your other arboreal sp. (if you have any) moult better than the one you lost, I lost my C. Versicolour in a moult a few years ago, I haven't gotten another due to this, not sure what the problem was as it had moulted 3 times before its untimely demise, I can understand why you disagreed with my post, my condolences.[Edit] I'm going to get another sometime this year, but would prefer to start with a juvenile.