molting or dead?

z32kid

Arachnopeon
I have a goliath bird eating spider and I havent seen it for a day or 2 and when I came home I lifted up the log that she stays in and find that she has molted but she has already shed and she is still on her back. Is she dead?

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Leave it alone

They sit on their backs until they feel like getting up.

If it moulted successfully its probably just chilling on its back.

LEAVE IT ALONE IT KNOWS WHAT IT'S DOING

If it starts to stink you know it is dead.

PS: Welcome to the boards; learn to use the search function or the grizzled ancients will berate you.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Hope your gal is just resting. My smaller (but still 3.5") PZB (E. campestratus) may not make it through molt. He's still on his back after over 24 hours, and hasn't popped the carapace. Not a darned thing I can do to help him. If the carapace was popped, then MAYBE, but at this stage -keep moisture up, keep it quiet around him, and keep my fingers crossed.

:(

Marga

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hope your gal is just resting. My smaller (but still 3.5") PZB (E. campestratus) may not make it through molt. He's still on his back after over 24 hours, and hasn't popped the carapace. Not a darned thing I can do to help him. If the carapace was popped, then MAYBE, but at this stage -keep moisture up, keep it quiet around him, and keep my fingers crossed.

:(

Marga

They said it already shed.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
They said it already shed.
Yes, theirs has shed... is still on her back, and is hopefully resting. That doesn't mean that a spider cannot die on it's back post-molt.

MY PZB is molting. Is on his back, has not popped his carapace, and may die on his back before completing a molt.

BOTH situations can and do happen. I hope for the OP that their spider has rested well and decided to get back upright.

Marga

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Yes - I used both in my post.

So, to the OP - how is your spider? My PZB (E. campestratus) isn't going to make it. I tried to see if I could remove him from his molt, but he didn't progress far enough.

Marga