Molting mat

Cantstop229

Arachnopeon
My smithi molted a week ago and I removed her molt the next day. My question is do I remove the web mat that she made? I want her enclosure to be nice and tidy but am not sure whether or not to leave it? Honestly, I removed it with maintenance tools but for future reference what is best?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
It's perfectly alright to leave it be in the enclosure, your specimen may even dismantle it apart at a later time on its own. I spot clean food boluses and on occasion feces, not webbing.

cold blood

Staff member
Never remove webbing unless its a problem...like web should be cleared from the water dish, but most of the time, webbing is how the t makes its enclosure its home. Removing the webbing would be like me coming over to your house and removing your couch.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It will be able to use the mat for other reasons. I always leave the web unless it is blocking discarded boluses, poop or the water dish.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Never remove webbing unless its a problem...like web should be cleared from the water dish, but most of the time, webbing is how the t makes its enclosure its home. Removing the webbing would be like me coming over to your house and removing your couch.
yeah no I'd like my couch. Take my annoying beanbag chair.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My question is do I remove the web mat that she made? I want her enclosure to be nice and tidy but am not sure whether or not to leave it?
I have a degree of OCD syndrome. I like things to be meticulously perfect and what not. But, Tarantula and Scorpion enclosures are places that will never be that unnatural degree of neat. They move stuff around, dig, web, etc. As long as the webbing is not obstructing anything leave it be. The spider will do with it as it sees fit sooner or later.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have a degree of OCD syndrome. I like things to be meticulously perfect and what not. But, Tarantula and Scorpion enclosures are places that will never be that unnatural degree of neat. They move stuff around, dig, web, etc. As long as the webbing is not obstructing anything leave it be. The spider will do with it as it sees fit sooner or later.

Right. The cage is their little piece of the planet, and they know just how it should be arranged.