Molting/Growing Asian forest Scorpion

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I have a heterometrus sp about 1". I have had it for four months and it has gotten kind of fat but has not grown otherwise. It has refused food the last few times but it typically scavenges anyway rather than attacking prey like my tarantulas. Should I expect it to molt soon? Thanks

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Hard to say. Been waiting on mine to molt for months now. All you can do is be patient. If it’s not eating, don’t be concerned. They do that. Normally a good sign of coming molt is that plump look where the plates on their back start to separate.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Hard to say. Been waiting on mine to molt for months now. All you can do is be patient. If it’s not eating, don’t be concerned. They do that. Normally a good sign of coming molt is that plump look where the plates on their back start to separate.
Right on, thanks. Yeah I figure it's kinda like tarantulas, I had a 1" sling in premolt for probably over 2 months so I've just been being patient, but this is just my only scorpion and I know a lot more about tarantulas

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Sounds like it is due for a molt. It just needs to have access to water so it has enough hydration when it molts.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Sounds like it is due for a molt. It just needs to have access to water so it has enough hydration when it molts.
Thanks yeah I keep its water dish full and the substrate damp but it doesn't burrow much. I'm just gonna wait for it to eventually molt and try feeding it like once every 2-3 weeks until then

Tigger

Arachnopeon
Could that be why one of my slings seems to live in it's water dish? The substrate is quite damp and it has a cork bark hide. Room temperature is about 75? (24C).

AFS3.jpg AFS1.jpg

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Could that be why one of my slings seems to live in it's water dish? The substrate is quite damp and it has a cork bark hide. Room temperature is about 75? (24C).

View attachment 346215 View attachment 346216
The substrate doesn't need to be dripping wet, just moist (so it can burrow if it wants to). They like a water bowl where they can soak their whole body in it. They also like it warm (which might speed up their metabolism and get them molting sooner). Something like a heat pad on the side (not underneath) the enclosure can help so the scorpion has a warm and a cooler side to choose from to regulate its temperature.

Tigger

Arachnopeon
The substrate doesn't need to be dripping wet, just moist (so it can burrow if it wants to). They like a water bowl where they can soak their whole body in it. They also like it warm (which might speed up their metabolism and get them molting sooner). Something like a heat pad on the side (not underneath) the enclosure can help so the scorpion has a warm and a cooler side to choose from to regulate its temperature.
Thanks for the info. The substrate isn't always that wet. I had wet it down with a syringe literally two minutes before I took that photo. I'm hoping to avoid using a heat mat but I'll reassess once the weather cools down towards winter.