Molting discrepancies for P regius

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Hey folks!

I got 2 Phidippus regius slings in October. One molted about a month ago and went from 1/8" to about 1/4" in my estimation. The other hasn't molted yet. They are on the same feeding schedule (about every 3-4 days) and I water them every other day by misting the enclosure with a small paint pump type mister. Food is either fff's or small pinheads. I know they are eating because I have the privilege of watching them hunt :)

I know there isn't much I can do to help the little one and am not overly concerned. But I was wondering if any arachnofans had some idea why it isn't molting? Is it possibly that one is male and the other female?

Cheers! :)

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not an unusual observation to my experience. Don't know a definite reason and suspect there may be more than one possible explanation for it. Being one moult apart isn't uncommon and i experienced even differences of up to 4 moults in siblings that were kept under same conditions when i raised larger numbers of slings.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Not an unusual observation to my experience. Don't know a definite reason and suspect there may be more than one possible explanation for it. Being one moult apart isn't uncommon and i experienced even differences of up to 4 moults in siblings that were kept under same conditions when i raised larger numbers of slings.
Thanks for the information!

Cheers

Jadestone

Arachnosquire
I have the same thing happening with the slings I am raising. Good to know this is normal!

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I know for sure that for some other species the vast difference in molting times for sac-mates is a way to prevent inbreeding.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I know for sure that for some other species the vast difference in molting times for sac-mates is a way to prevent inbreeding.
I've had the same theory, but observed that with some species apparently gender plays no role in this delayed development. So while i still think this may be a possible explanation in some cases, it doesn't seem to be fitting to all species.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Thanks for the responses! The weird thing is that I have been trying to feed the little one more to encourage a molt. No dice so far. But I keep playing the waiting game ;)