Molting again?!

Makani101

Arachnopeon
Ok so is there any reason why my Golden knee would molt again after molting only 3 weeks ago?? She’s on her back UNDER a web she spun...... please tell me she’s not dying

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Under the web? Are you sure that she is not a he? Because that sounds like a mature male making a sperm web. I can only guess since you haven't included other helpful information... like an approximate size.
Can you post photos, please? Photos of the pedipalps would be very helpful too.

Makani101

Arachnopeon
84948ADC-2599-4689-A97F-40BA34A11619.jpeg 0150392E-2D1A-4DFF-B568-82E7F5D1893C.jpeg Ok yea I can send a pic .... I was sooooo thinking he was a she though, I have another tarantula I got at the same time and is 3 times smaller so I assumed that was the male.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Yes, that is a mature male making a sperm web.
Also, that doesn't look like a Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) to me. It looks more like an Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian Giant White Knee).

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well if this isn't a hot mess...

What planet are we on that a "female G. pulchripes" is in fact a mature male A. genic? :rofl:

Time to send him off to find his mate.;)
Only once it is known for sure what species he actually is.

To the OP, size of slings/juveniles/sub adults does not dictate sex. Sacmates of the same sex kept in the exact same conditions can grow at vastly varied rates. The only way to know for sure is to check molts or wait for maturity.