Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Molting again?!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Makani101, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Makani101

Makani101 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Ok so is there any reason why my Golden knee would molt again after molting only 3 weeks ago?? She’s on her back UNDER a web she spun...... please tell me she’s not dying

2. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Under the web? Are you sure that she is not a he? Because that sounds like a mature male making a sperm web. I can only guess since you haven't included other helpful information... like an approximate size.
    Can you post photos, please? Photos of the pedipalps would be very helpful too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Makani101

Makani101 Arachnopeon

84948ADC-2599-4689-A97F-40BA34A11619.jpeg 0150392E-2D1A-4DFF-B568-82E7F5D1893C.jpeg Ok yea I can send a pic .... I was sooooo thinking he was a she though, I have another tarantula I got at the same time and is 3 times smaller so I assumed that was the male.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Yes, that is a mature male making a sperm web.
    Also, that doesn't look like a Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) to me. It looks more like an Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian Giant White Knee).

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

Time to send him off to find his mate.;)

6. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Well if this isn't a hot mess...

What planet are we on that a "female G. pulchripes" is in fact a mature male A. genic? :hilarious:

Only once it is known for sure what species he actually is.

To the OP, size of slings/juveniles/sub adults does not dictate sex. Sacmates of the same sex kept in the exact same conditions can grow at vastly varied rates. The only way to know for sure is to check molts or wait for maturity.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoking Old Timer

When they (most) have tibial hooks and the pedipalps looks like boxinggloves, the tarantulas are mature males!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.