Molted during shipping

cehmz

Arachnopeon
I received a number of T's yesterday and all but one were fine. 1.5" b.vagans appeared to have molted while in his vial during shipping. I put him in enclosure and jacked up humidity. As of this morning it appeared to separate from the molt but is still on its back barely moving.
Is it a lost cause that I should put in freezer to end it's suffering or is there still hope? What could be going on? I should add that it's legs look all sorts of messed up.

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
A picture is always helpful in these scenarios.
As for killing it humanely, if it comes to it, the bottom of a shoe works just as good, tho it may be a lot harder for you.

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
If it hasn't hardened yet, then the legs could straighten out. And even if they don't completely, they would by the next molt. That is if it is able to move around and eat. If it is 1.5" I would think it could molt again in another month?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I would definitely give it a chance. If it's a tiny sling as @AntlerAlchemist pointed out chances are that it can molt within a month if really heavily fed after it hardens. If it eats in a few days it may well pull through. I never give up on messed up spiders. I've seen too many clinically dead Ts come to life on this forum.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If it's on its back already take a very small eye dropper or syringe if you have access to one and put a water droplet on it's mouth parts.. If the water droplet disappears it's drinking..Repeat the process untill it stops drinking.

Shipping is tough on Ts molting while shipping compounds that stress greatly. It could just take him some extra time to recover. Don't give up yet.

At this point you don't want to touch it for any reason and disturb it only for hydration as I mentioned above.

I would also contact the seller and tell them what happened incase it does die. The seller may cover it under his/ her LAG.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I received a number of T's yesterday and all but one were fine. 1.5" b.vagans appeared to have molted while in his vial during shipping. I put him in enclosure and jacked up humidity. As of this morning it appeared to separate from the molt but is still on its back barely moving.
Is it a lost cause that I should put in freezer to end it's suffering or is there still hope? What could be going on? I should add that it's legs look all sorts of messed up.
I'd wait it out a little but keep in mind slings don't take long to molt, only a matter of hours. If there's no progress soon your best bet may be to intervene, time is of the essence as the new exoskeleton is hardening underneath. If it hardens fully the T will not be able to free itself from the molt.

I haven't ever had to do this but I've heard of some success stories where they gently swab Ts legs with a moist q-tip to try and remove the old exo, this is harder on small slings of course. But it's worth a try before you decide to euthanize.

Good luck!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have 2.5cm DLS guttata with warped legs and old exo still stuck to rear of abdomen. Caused by bad moult

I have H. pulchripes same size, same situation.

They are both eating so I am going to see if they will make it to next moult.

I dont see the point in euthanising an animal that doesnt process pain like humans do. I wouldnt give up hope yet. Though that is only my opinion and it is your own choice if you do so.

cehmz

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll wait it out, will snap pictures after work today.

cehmz

Arachnopeon
I don't know how well you can see but here is a pic I just took. Still on its back hasnt moved at all. Barely twitches when enclosure is moved or gently breath on it.

20170429_142025.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The legs are still stuck in the old exuviae? All 8? Are abdomen and carapace free?

Coconana

Arachnosquire
I second @14pokies on contacting the seller, just in case. Also, are there any clearer pictures that we could get in order to better see what's happening, please?

If this T is still drinking and twitching, then s/he may have a small chance. If /she doesn't wind up pulling through, then take solace in that you did everything that you could.. Sometimes things like this just happen.

cehmz

Arachnopeon
Seller is sending me a b.smithi as a replacement. The b.vagans is still alive but I have not been able to get it to eat and it still is all sorts of jacked up leg-wise. It can not move hardly at all due to this. I do not know if it will make it but I am hoping I can get it to eat.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Seller is sending me a b.smithi as a replacement. The b.vagans is still alive but I have not been able to get it to eat and it still is all sorts of jacked up leg-wise. It can not move hardly at all due to this. I do not know if it will make it but I am hoping I can get it to eat.
Have you tried leaving prekilled yum yums? I would do that and just have water available at all times.

cehmz

Arachnopeon
Have you tried leaving prekilled yum yums? I would do that and just have water available at all times.
I have not tried prekilled yet, always full water dish in with it. I'll try putting a pre-killed dubia in front of it tonight. Last time I tried dropping prey in front of it the lil fella kicked hair!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I have not tried prekilled yet, always full water dish in with it. I'll try putting a pre-killed dubia in front of it tonight. Last time I tried dropping prey in front of it the lil fella kicked hair!
Probably not ready to eat just yet, or it could be intimidated by the roach. Keeping it hydrated should be the priority for now. I would offer pre killed to a weakened T to make things easier for it...