Molted Chaco And New Suntiger!!

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
So some time ago I posted with concern that my chaco sling had buried itself for what at that time was about three weeks. Well, roughly another three weeks or a moth later; he/she re-emerged twice the size!! And in the meantime, I happened to acquire a new 3" Venezuelan Suntiger!!

IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0287.JPG IMG_0287.JPG IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0197.JPG

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Huh. I suppose users of non-scientific names get no love?
They are frowned upon, as the "non-scientific" names are how mixups occur, and is how we get hybrids. Common names are nothing but a plague on the hobby.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
They are frowned upon, as the "non-scientific" names are how mixups occur, and is how we get hybrids. Common names are nothing but a plague on the hobby.
Petstore I've been going to is now selling OBTs (one of the few accepted common names) under various other common names. (I.e sunburst baboons, startburst baboons, etc..) So i see why they're so frowned upon.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Petstore I've been going to is now selling OBTs (one of the few accepted common names) under various other common names. (I.e sunburst baboons, startburst baboons, etc..) So i see why they're so frowned upon.
Yeah. There can be 20 for one species (look at the brachypelma genus) and then two species with a similar common name, but are two completely different species (lets say a suntiger vs an earthtiger) are sold, someone might buy the "earth tiger" (haplopelma) as a "suntiger" (Psalmos) handle the spider, get bit by an OW, and then... yeah.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
Yeah. There can be 20 for one species (look at the brachypelma genus) and then two species with a similar common name, but are two completely different species (lets say a suntiger vs an earthtiger) are sold, someone might buy the "earth tiger" (haplopelma) as a "suntiger" (Psalmos) handle the spider, get bit by an OW, and then... yeah.
To be fair, I wouldn't handle my suntiger either.. Ofcourse she's a nw, but their bite is still hell for a nw from what I've gathered..

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
Pardon my forwardness but I feel like a statement like that is a bit super snarky. I'm in this hobby for my own enjoyment and part OF the enjoyment for me, in a small way, happens to BE some of the common names. I don't feel like that should be treated as any less worthy or looked down upon.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Pardon my forwardness but I feel like a statement like that is a bit super snarky. I'm in this hobby for my own enjoyment and part OF the enjoyment for me, in a small way, happens to BE some of the common names. I don't feel like that should be treated as any less worthy or looked down upon.
Personally I see no issue with common names (I use them all the time for my non arachnid loving friends) but try to use scientific on the boards more, it's just lessens confusion I guess.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
If you joined a photography forum, would you refuse to learn what aperture, shutter speed, and depth of field meant, and still demand to be taken seriously by the other members?

If you joined a sewing forum, but you refused to learn the given terminology for all the different parts of a sewing machine, would you expect the members to treat you as an equal?

If you joined a car stereo forum, but refused to learn the difference between 4 watts and 4 ohms, do you think anyone would care what you thought on that forum or try to answer your questions?

Food for thought.

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
If you joined a photography forum, would you refuse to learn what aperture, shutter speed, and depth of field meant, and still demand to be taken seriously by the other members?

If you joined a sewing forum, but you refused to learn the given terminology for all the different parts of a sewing machine, would you expect the members to treat you as an equal?

If you joined a car stereo forum, but refused to learn the difference between 4 watts and 4 ohms, do you think anyone would care what you thought on that forum or try to answer your questions?

Food for thought.
I'm not sure how or why you interpreted from this, any sort of refusal. Also, none of these have anything to do with Latin scientific names. Not remotely a similarity. But yes, if I were getting into some type of hobby and did not have everything committed to memory in the scientific realm, I WOULD expect that another individual who has maybe been inside that hobby for an extensive length of time, not be snarky and douchey toward me for my lack of knowledge or tendency to refer to common names over Latin.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
No matter what the given community is, you have to learn its terminology if you want to fit in. That was the general point of my examples.

I'm not suggesting that you memorize the scientific names of every tarantula, either. That's fairly pointless. Just the ones you own and have questions about. That lets everyone know exactly what T you're talking about, and people are much more likely to respond.

Last edited:

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
We all are here to discuss and learn stuff. Its strange to me that someone would come here to learn some stuff and actively try to not learn a somewhat important bit of the hobby, the terminology.

@nicodimus22 is right. When you don't even attempt to learn the terminology, you don't get much love...

Nice looking spiders you have there though.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Until you try breeding or selling/trading..

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I recently had a mix up with this. A supplier told me she had tiger rumps for sale. Since she was a friend and dealt NWs from time to time I though she had a D.Fasciatum, which was one of the few nw terrestrials that I'm interested in. When she brought them to me to pick a couple, to my surprise she had C.Minax. I informed her of what she had and not to sell them to any novice keepers....and then proceeded to buy three. I am a sucker for a Cyriopagopus...especially C.Lividum.

Normally these sort of mix ups don't work out for the best, so learn your scientific names.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Learning scientific names really is necessary to be even somewhat serious in this hobby. Common names do have their uses occasionally though. I showed my wife my T. gigas today and called it an orange tree spider. To someone like her with no interest in the hobby I just sound like an obnoxious nerd calling it Tapinauchenius gigas. Scientific names should always be used when selling/ buying something or talking to other hobbyists.

Last edited:

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
I am still perplexed at the assumption taken by multiple posters that I've chosen to "refuse" or "actively try not to learn" the names. Grossly incorrect, but I guess that being already stated doesn't matter, either.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I am still perplexed at the assumption taken by multiple posters that I've chosen to "refuse" or "actively try not to learn" the names. Grossly incorrect, but I guess that being already stated doesn't matter, either.
Well, if you're not refusing, it's best to become well versed. Plus I am jealous. That's a nice irminia.

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
Well, if you're not refusing, it's best to become well versed. Plus I am jealous. That's a nice irminia.
He/she is such a beast eater as well. Its got a hole dug in the substrate and has taken to using it as a means to hide behind the foam backdrop. The cricket gets close and BOOM, then gets dragged backwards into the hole, kicking and fighting. :vamp::vamp::vamp: