Molt stuck to tarantula

Tyler Lawrence

Arachnopeon
Hello, my GBB has molted for the first time and in my care. It appeared that he fully molted, but his molt seem to be stuck to his abdomen by a small part.
I'm not very experienced in keeping tarantulas. So is this normal? I have kept 2 tarantulas previously that both molted multiple times IMG_20200115_145116.jpg without issue.

Cornex

Arachnopeon
I can't really see where it is stuck. But if its only a small part and not at the spinnerets i would try to remove the molt. Be very cautious and use a tweezer of couse

cold blood

Staff member
just grab the molt and let the sling pull it away.....the longer you wait, the more stuck it will become.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Moisten a Q-tip, grab the moult with a pair of tweezers, dab the stuck area with the Q-tip to loosen it and let the sling pull itself free from the moult (don't pull the moult from the sling).

Swagg

Arachnoknight
How big of a deal is it if the T drops a spinneret?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
How big of a deal is it if the T drops a spinneret?
The spinnerets per se are not the concern. However, an exuvia stuck to that area could effect the anus. Consequently, separating the exuvia from that general area as soon as possible is imperative.

Last edited:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Glad to hear it! Make sure to give it lots ov water and hold off feeding till it's fangs are black. For slings I just wait a week. Juvies around 10 days and adults I try to wait 3 weeks to a month. Of course if you can see that the fangs are black then try to feed :)

Last edited: