1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Molt stuck to tarantula

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Tyler Lawrence, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Tyler Lawrence

Tyler Lawrence Arachnopeon

Az
    Advertisement
    Hello, my GBB has molted for the first time and in my care. It appeared that he fully molted, but his molt seem to be stuck to his abdomen by a small part.
    I'm not very experienced in keeping tarantulas. So is this normal? I have kept 2 tarantulas previously that both molted multiple times IMG_20200115_145116.jpg without issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cornex

Cornex Arachnopeon Active Member

I can't really see where it is stuck. But if its only a small part and not at the spinnerets i would try to remove the molt. Be very cautious and use a tweezer of couse

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnobaron Active Member

Looks almost like a spinarrette is stuck.
    @cold blood @Ungoliant @Vanessa
    Any ideas? I would make a suggestion but am worried about causing more harm.

4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

just grab the molt and let the sling pull it away.....the longer you wait, the more stuck it will become.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Moisten a Q-tip, grab the moult with a pair of tweezers, dab the stuck area with the Q-tip to loosen it and let the sling pull itself free from the moult (don't pull the moult from the sling).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Swagg

Swagg Arachnosquire Active Member

How big of a deal is it if the T drops a spinneret?

7. jrh3

jrh3 ArachnoTitan Arachnosupporter

I had a P. Pulcher with 1 spinneret and I noticed no issues at all.

8. Tyler Lawrence

Tyler Lawrence Arachnopeon

Az
    Thanks for the help. He got it off himself, and appears to not be damaged.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. FrDoc

FrDoc Gen. 1:24-25 Arachnosupporter

The spinnerets per se are not the concern. However, an exuvia stuck to that area could effect the anus. Consequently, separating the exuvia from that general area as soon as possible is imperative.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnobaron Active Member

Glad to hear it! Make sure to give it lots ov water and hold off feeding till it's fangs are black. For slings I just wait a week. Juvies around 10 days and adults I try to wait 3 weeks to a month. Of course if you can see that the fangs are black then try to feed :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.