molt spot?

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
looks like the urticating hair patch to me. the "black spot" is only visible on new world tarantulas if they've shed the urticating hairs. the black spot comes from the developing exoskeleton forming under the old one, and the only way to see that is if the spider has kicked the hair off. a lot of new world species have dark urticating patches when they're young. from your pics it looks as though it hasn't kicked itself bald. a search for this topic will give you pictures and all the information you could possibly need.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a few slings with that same spot. It's nothing abnormal. I have 3 different species, all under 2 inches and they all have that spot. nothing to worry about, it will go away when they become larger and they're real colors start to show.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this is my b vagans and she had this spot from when i got her im 90 percent its a molt bald spot its blackish and my chaco golden knee has it too

close to a molt or something else?

no hating :embarrassed:
That is a normal spot for small spiderlings and does not mean your sling is in premolt. It is not a bald spot either, though to be honest, I can't remember specifically what it is. I know I have heard that it is their heart that you are seeing as a dark spot(I do not remember if that was a true statement though), but if you search I am sure you can find more info on it.

Your spiderling does not look premolt to me, just nice and plump. The entire abdomen will turn black when it is premolt and that change can come quickly too. I have been taking note of when our T's butts turn black and it can happen in a day. Also, when you first notice the completely back abdomen, the molt is imminent. Ours have been molting within a week of their butt turning completely black. :D

Oh and I HATE sauerkraut!
:p

Pyropiscus

Arachnopeon
It looks to me like it's just the sling's urticating hairs. Most of my slings look this way too. From what I can tell, as the sling eats and its abdomen grows, it doesn't grow more hairs to cover the new surface. This results in a small patch of hairs the original size of the abdomen out on the very end.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a normal spot for small spiderlings and does not mean your sling is in premolt. It is not a bald spot either, though to be honest, I can't remember specifically what it is. I know I have heard that it is their heart that you are seeing as a dark spot(I do not remember if that was a true statement though), but if you search I am sure you can find more info on it.
After a little research, I found out that is not their heart. It is urticating hair. :eek:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You'll often see that referred to as the mirror patch or urticating patch. That's where the urticating hairs are the most concentrated although they are located all over the abdomen in lesser concentrations.